Generic Name and Formulations:
Doxepin HCl 5%; crm.
Indications for ZONALON:
Moderate pruritus associated with atopic dermatitis and lichen simplex chronicus.
Apply thin film to affected area 4 times a day at 3–4 hour intervals for up to 8 days. Do not occlude.
Untreated narrow-angle glaucoma. Urinary retention.
During or within 14 days of MAOIs. Poor metabolizers may have increased effects. For dermatological use only. Avoid eyes. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Discontinue MAOIs at least 2 weeks before starting. Alcohol, CNS depressants potentiate sedation. May potentiate drugs metabolized by CYP2D6 (eg, cimetidine, tricyclic antidepressants, SSRIs, phenothiazines, carbamazepine, propafenone, flecainide, encainide, quinidine).
Drowsiness, dry mouth, thirst, headache, fatigue, dizziness, emotional or taste changes, burning/stinging, pruritus or eczema exacerbation, skin dryness or tightening, parethesias, edema.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Stat Consult: Chronic Low Back Pain
- Opioid Misuse May Help Predict Alcohol Dependence Treatment Outcomes
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- OnabotulinumtoxinA May Be Effective for Chronic Migraine With Medication Overuse
- FDA Outlines Plan for Increasing Nonprescription Drug Availability
- Prescribed Opioids Difficulties Scale Effective for Assessing Concerns of Patients With Chronic Pain
- Hypoesthesia for Touch and Joint Position Linked to Chronic Pain in MS
- New Laws Are Needed to Protect Health Data Shared Online