Generic Name and Formulations:
Velaglucerase alfa 400 Units/vial; lyophilized pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution; preservative-free.
Shire US, Inc.
Indications for VPRIV:
Long-term enzyme replacement therapy (ERT) in patients with Type 1 Gaucher disease.
Adults and Children:
<4yrs: not established. Give by IV infusion over 60 minutes. Individualize. ≥4yrs: 60 Units/kg every other week; adjust dose based on therapeutic goals. Begin treatment with Vpriv at the same dose when switching from imiglucerase.
Monitor for hypersensitivity reactions; immediately discontinue and treat appropriately if occur. Temporarily discontinue and resume with increased infusion time, slowing infusion rate, or administer antihistamines, antipyretics, and/or corticosteroids if infusion-related reactions occur. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Lysosomal glucocerebroside-specific enzyme.
Infusion-related reactions, headache, dizziness, abdominal pain, nausea, back pain, joint pain, upper respiratory tract infection, activated PTT prolonged, fatigue/asthenia, pyrexia.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Stat Consult: Chronic Low Back Pain
- Opioid Misuse May Help Predict Alcohol Dependence Treatment Outcomes
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Methadone Improves Short-Term Outcomes Better Than Morphine in Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Hospital-Owned Practices Associated With Positive Workplace Perceptions Among Staff
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Chinese Traditional Medicine Showed Effectiveness on Pain, Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer