Virtual reality appears to be an effective distraction intervention to relieve pain and distress during various medical procedures.
Virtual reality was shown to reduce pain and anxiety compared with standard of care during routine blood draws in children and adolescents.
The use of virtual reality (VR) and multisensory stimulation in patients with spinal cord injury promotes mild relief from chronic neuropathic pain and represents a potentially helpful addition to SCI neurorehabilitation management.
Virtual reality technology may relieve pain through neurophysiologic changes related to conditioning and exposure, in addition to mechanisms involving distraction.
Virtual reality is on the verge of revolutionizing pain management, including on the chronic pain front, and may offer a new way to combat the opioid crisis.
The use of virtual reality technology was superior to standard controlled distraction therapy for the management of pain in hospitalized patients.
We explore 5 technologies recently developed to manage pain.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Stat Consult: Chronic Low Back Pain
- Opioid Misuse May Help Predict Alcohol Dependence Treatment Outcomes
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Predictors of Opioid Overdose in High-Risk Users
- FDA to Review Long-Acting Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder
- Half of Patients Referred for Behavioral Treatment of Migraine Never Initiate Treatment
- Low-Dose Sumatriptan Injection Effective as Acute Migraine Treatment
- The Fight for Patient Privacy Under Big Data Analytics