Despite adding his signature to the VA Mission Act, President Donald Trump is now fighting a bipartisan plan to fund the much-needed expansion to veterans' health care.
Patients served by the beleaguered Veterans Affairs health system may have wider access to private care, thanks to a bill approved Wednesday by the Senate.
A number of factors including chronic pain co-occurring with posttraumatic stress disorder and pain interference may predict suicidal ideation and violent impulses in US veterans with chronic pain.
Neuropsychological performance may not be associated with the improvements in pain interference observed after an 8-week Acceptance and Commitment Therapy program in veterans with chronic pain.
Opioid prescribing trends in the Veterans Health Administration from 2010 to 2016 followed similar trajectories as non-VHA settings, peaking around 2012 then declining.
Opioid use was shown to be relatively low in veterans of Iraq and Afghanistan with recently diagnosed traumatic brain injuries, but approximately one-quarter of those who initiated opioids were chronic users.
Participation in a pilot functional medicine clinic decreased perceived stress and joint and muscle symptoms in veterans with chronic pain.
Yoga improved health outcomes in military veterans with chronic low back pain, including lowering their pain intensity.
The Empower Veterans Program was created by the Atlanta Veterans Administration Medical Center to improve quality of life through active self-care in veterans with chronic pain.
A targeted form of CBT is effective in treating chronic pain and substance use disorder in veterans with hepatitis C virus infection.
Rapid increases in prescription opioid dose may lead to higher rates of new-onset depression.
Out of 500 participants who initiated heroin use during the study period, more than 75% reported previous or current non-medical use of prescription opioid medications.
A combination of ketamine infusion treatment and psychotherapy was found to attenuate PTSD manifestation and reduce pain scores.
VA studies highlighting each of the chapters of the National Pain Strategy
Addressing chronic pain in veterans
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Electroacupuncture May Help Reduce Opioid Use in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis