Generic Name and Formulations:
Iloprost 10mcg/mL, 20mcg/mL; soln for inhalation using I-neb or Prodose AAD System; preservative-free.
Indications for VENTAVIS:
Pulmonary arterial hypertension (WHO Group I) in patients with NYHA Class III or IV symptoms to improve exercise ability and delay clinical worsening.
Initially 2.5mcg, if tolerated, uptitrate to 5micrograms 6–9 times daily based on tolerability (no more than every 2 hrs); max 45mcg/day. Monitor vital signs while initiating therapy. Hepatic impairment: consider increasing dosing interval (eg, 3–4 hours) between doses.
Do not start therapy if systolic BP <85 mmHg. Discontinue immediately if pulmonary edema occurs (may indicate pulmonary venous hypertension). Bleeding disorders. Avoid contact with eyes and skin, oral ingestion. COPD. Severe asthma. Acute pulmonary infections. Hepatic or renal impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiates hypotensive effect of vasodilators and antihypertensives. May potentiate anticoagulants. Do not mix with other drugs.
Vasodilation, increased cough, headache, lockjaw, insomnia, GI upset, hypotension, flu syndrome, back pain, abnormal lab tests (eg, increased GGT, alkaline phosphatase), tongue pain, palpitations, syncope, muscle cramps, hemoptysis, pneumonia, CHF, chest pain, supraventricular tachycardia, dyspnea, peripheral edema, kidney failure.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Electroacupuncture May Help Reduce Opioid Use in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis