Generic Name and Formulations:
Vasopressin 20U/mL; soln for IV inj after dilution.
Par Pharmaceutical, Inc.
Indications for VASOSTRICT:
To increase blood pressure in vasodilatory shock (eg, post-cardiotomy or sepsis) who remain hypotensive despite fluids and catecholamines.
Use lowest effective dose. Post-cardiotomy shock: initially 0.03U/min; max 0.1U/min. Septic shock: initially 0.01U/min; max 0.07U/min. May titrate up by 0.005U/min at 10–15min intervals if target BP not achieved. After target BP maintained for 8hrs without use of catecholamines, taper by 0.005U/min every hour as tolerated to maintain target BP.
Impaired cardiac response may worsen cardiac output. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: advise to pump and discard breast milk for 1.5hrs after vasopressin dose.
Additive effect with concomitant catecholamines. May be potentiated by indomethacin, ganglionic blocking agents, furosemide, SSRIs, tricyclics, haloperidol, chlorpropamide, enalapril, methyldopa, pentamidine, vincristine, cyclophosphamide, ifosfamide, felbamate. May be antagonized by demeclocycline, lithium, foscarnet, clozapine.
Decreased cardiac output, bradycardia, tachyarrhythmias, hyponatremia, ischemia (coronary, mesenteric, skin, digital).
Multi-dose vials (1mL)—25
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis