Generic Name and Formulations:
Meropenem, vaborbactam 2g/vial (containing meropenem 1g + vaborbactam 1g); pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution; sodium content 10.9mEq/vial; preservative-free.
Indications for VABOMERE:
Susceptible complicated urinary tract infections (cUTI) including pyelonephritis.
Give by IV infusion over 3hrs. ≥18yrs (eGFR ≥50mL/min/1.73m2): 4g every 8hrs. Renal impairment (eGFR 30–49mL/min/1.73m2): 2g every 8hrs; (eGFR 15–29mL/min/1.73m2): 2g every 12hrs; (eGFR <15mL/min/1.73m2): 1g every 12hrs. Give after hemodialysis session. All: treat for up to 14 days.
<18yrs: not established.
Previous hypersensitivity to penicillins, cephalosporins, other beta-lactams, or other allergens. Discontinue immediately if allergic reaction occurs. CNS disorders (eg, brain lesions, history of seizures). Bacterial meningitis. Renal impairment (thrombocytopenia possible). Reevaluate dose if focal tremors, myoclonus, or seizures occur. Discontinue if C. difficile-associated diarrhea suspected or confirmed. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Carbapenem + beta-lactamase inhibitor.
Concomitant valproic acid or divalproex sodium: not recommended; if use necessary, consider supplemental anticonvulsant. Potentiated by probenecid: not recommended.
Headache, phlebitis/infusion site reactions, diarrhea; serious hypersensitivity reactions, C. difficile-associated diarrhea, possible neuromotor impairment (eg, seizures, delirium, paresthesias), superinfection.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis