Generic Name and Formulations:
Treprostinil 0.6mg/mL; soln for oral inhalation using Tyvaso Inhalation System.
United Therapeutics Corp.
Indications for TYVASO:
Pulmonary arterial hypertension (WHO Group I) in patients with NYHA Class III symptoms, to improve exercise ability.
Give 4 separate treatment sessions each day approximately 4hrs apart, during waking hours. ≥18yrs: Initially 3 breaths (18mcg) per treatment session; if not tolerated, reduce to 1–2 breaths, and then subsequently increase to 3 breaths as tolerated. Maintenance: may increase by an additional 3 breaths at 1–2 week intervals, if tolerated, to target dose of 9 breaths (54mcg) per treatment session.
<18yrs: not established.
Significant underlying lung disease (eg, asthma, COPD). Acute pulmonary infections. Patients with low systemic arterial pressure. Hepatic or renal insufficiency. Risk of bleeding. Avoid contact with eyes and skin, oral ingestion. Elderly. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Increased risk of symptomatic hypotension with concomitant diuretics, antihypertensives, other vasodilators. May be potentiated by CYP2C8 inhibitor (eg, gemfibrozil). May be antagonized by CYP2C8 inducer (eg, rifampin). Increased risk of bleeding with anticoagulants.
Cough, headache, nausea, diarrhea, dizziness, flushing, throat irritation, pharyngolaryngeal pain, syncope; symptomatic hypotension, bleeding.
Ampules (2.9mL)—4; Starter Kit—1 (28 ampules with inhalation system); Refill Kit—1 (28 ampules with accessories)
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Electroacupuncture May Help Reduce Opioid Use in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis