TUSSICAPS 10mg/8mg CII
Generic Name and Formulations:
Hydrocodone bitartrate 10mg, chlorpheniramine maleate 8mg; as polistirex; ext–rel caps; contains alcohol.
Indications for TUSSICAPS 10mg/8mg:
Cough and upper respiratory symptoms.
1 cap (10mg/8mg) every 12hrs; max 2caps/24hrs.
<6yrs: see Contraindications. 6–11yrs: 1 cap (5mg/4mg) every 12hrs; max 2caps/24hrs.
Children <6yrs of age (risk of fatal respiratory depression).
Respiratory depression. Post–op. Pulmonary disease. Head injury. Increased intracranial pressure. Glaucoma. Asthma. GI or GU obstruction. Acute abdomen. Severe hepatic or renal impairment. Hypothyroidism. Addison's disease. Elderly. Debilitated. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Antitussive + antihistamine.
Additive CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants, tricyclic antidepressants, MAOIs. Paralytic ileus with concurrent anticholinergics.
Nausea, vomiting, CNS and respiratory depression, ureteral and vesical sphincter spasm, chest tightness, abuse potential, anticholinergic effects, rash, pruritis.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis