TUSSICAPS 10mg/8mg CII
Generic Name and Formulations:
Hydrocodone bitartrate 10mg, chlorpheniramine maleate 8mg; as polistirex; ext–rel caps; contains alcohol.
Indications for TUSSICAPS 10mg/8mg:
Cough and upper respiratory symptoms.
1 cap (10mg/8mg) every 12hrs; max 2caps/24hrs.
<6yrs: see Contraindications. 6–11yrs: 1 cap (5mg/4mg) every 12hrs; max 2caps/24hrs.
Children <6yrs of age (risk of fatal respiratory depression).
Respiratory depression. Post–op. Pulmonary disease. Head injury. Increased intracranial pressure. Glaucoma. Asthma. GI or GU obstruction. Acute abdomen. Severe hepatic or renal impairment. Hypothyroidism. Addison's disease. Elderly. Debilitated. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Antitussive + antihistamine.
Additive CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants, tricyclic antidepressants, MAOIs. Paralytic ileus with concurrent anticholinergics.
Nausea, vomiting, CNS and respiratory depression, ureteral and vesical sphincter spasm, chest tightness, abuse potential, anticholinergic effects, rash, pruritis.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Manual Therapy vs Opioids for Management of Shoulder, Spine Pain
- Opioids: Clinician Concern and Prescribing Practices
- Screening for Hyperglycemia Prior to Steroid Injections for Chronic Pain
- Ensuring Safety During Long-Term Opioid Therapy
- Intervention by Pharmacists May Effectively Reduce Use of Inappropriate Medications in the Elderly
- Serum Vitamin D Levels and Risk for Migraine
- Rimegepant Orally Dissolving Formulation Provides Rapid Relief From Acute Migraine
- Updated Evidence-Based Recommendations for Buprenorphine Treatment
- Business Degree Increasingly Useful for Doctors
- Prescription Digital Therapeutic Approved for Opioid Use Disorder
- Kinesiophobia May Be Associated With Greater Cutaneous Allodynia in Migraine
- CDC: 8.8% of Individuals in the United States Uninsured in First Half of 2018
- Patient Experiences Shed Light on Diagnostic Errors
- Topical Migraine Trigger Point Treatment as Effective as Injection
- Wikipedia in Medical Education: An Educator's Guide to Crowdsourcing