Trihexyphenidyl Tabs Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Trihexyphenidyl HCl 2mg, 5mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Trihexyphenidyl Tabs:
Adjunct in Parkinsonism. Drug-induced extrapyramidal symptoms (EPS).
Take with food. Give in 3–4 divided doses. Parkinsonism: 1mg on day 1, may increase by 2mg every 3–5 days; usual max 6–15mg/day. Concomitant levodopa: 3–6mg/day and reduce levodopa dose. EPS: 1mg on day 1; range 5–15mg/day.
Tardive dyskinesia. Narrow-angle glaucoma.
Cardiovascular, renal, or hepatic disorders. Hypertension. Psychosis. GI or GU obstruction. Exposure to extreme heat. Monitor intraocular pressure. Avoid abrupt cessation. Nursing mothers.
Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, CNS depressants. Antagonizes psychotropics. Additive anticholinergic effects with MAOIs. Paralytic ileus with phenothiazines, tricyclic antidepressants.
Anticholinergic and antihistaminic effects, confusion, anhidrosis, excitement, nausea, vomiting, angle-closure glaucoma, hallucinations, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, heat stroke, drowsiness.
Formerly known under the brand name Artane.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- FDA Takes Steps to Reconcile Needs of Patients With Chronic Pain, Efforts to Curb Opioid Epidemic
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Stat Consult: Chronic Low Back Pain
- Opioid Misuse May Help Predict Alcohol Dependence Treatment Outcomes
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- To Improve Healthcare Policy, Congress Needs More Physicians
- Emergency Physicians Offer Recommendations for Identifying and Managing Opioid Use Disorder
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- The Ethical Argument Against Publishing Medical Research: What Responsibility Do Journal Editors Have?
- Poll: Should Migraineurs Avoid Headache Triggers?