Total Knee Replacement
In patients with knee osteoarthritis, high pain levels and low pressure pain thresholds at baseline predicted worse pain outcomes after total knee replacement surgery, but did not predict outcomes after nonsurgical interventions.
The addition of adjunctive acupuncture to routine rehabilitation therapy after total knee replacement may not provide a significant benefit over exercise only for relieving postoperative pain.
Systematic Review Does Not Identify Patient-Related Risk Factors for Chronic Pain After Total Knee Replacement SurgeryDecember 12, 2017
There is little evidence to suggest that postoperative knee pain, knee function, or various psychosocial factors influence long-term chronic pain following total knee replacement.
The current practice of total knee replacement that is performed in the US has minimal effects on quality of life among patients.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Opioid Use in Chronic Low Back Pain: A Population Study
- Risks Associated With Co-Administration of Aspirin and Other NSAIDs
- Stages of Low Back Pain Have Specific Sets of Clinical Indicators
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- First Non-Opioid Drug Approved for Managing Opioid Withdrawal Symptoms
- Effect of Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs on Fatal, Nonfatal Drug Overdoses
- Standardized SCS Workflow May Effectively Alleviate Failed Back Surgery Syndrome-Related Pain
- Marijuana Legalization and Opioid Prescribing Rates
- Medical Marijuana Users More Likely to Use Prescription Drugs for Medical, Nonmedical Purposes
- Interbrain Coupling During Handholding Associated With Analgesia, Empathy
- Opioid-Related Adverse Drug Events Associated With Worse Patient, Cost Outcomes
- Education Plus Exercise, Single Corticosteroid Injection Effective in Long Term for Gluteal Tendinopathy
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Naloxone Training Beneficial for PA Students
- Supervised Injection Sites Hailed as the Latest Strategy to Fight the Opioid Crisis