Total Knee Replacement
In patients with knee osteoarthritis, high pain levels and low pressure pain thresholds at baseline predicted worse pain outcomes after total knee replacement surgery, but did not predict outcomes after nonsurgical interventions.
The addition of adjunctive acupuncture to routine rehabilitation therapy after total knee replacement may not provide a significant benefit over exercise only for relieving postoperative pain.
Systematic Review Does Not Identify Patient-Related Risk Factors for Chronic Pain After Total Knee Replacement SurgeryDecember 12, 2017
There is little evidence to suggest that postoperative knee pain, knee function, or various psychosocial factors influence long-term chronic pain following total knee replacement.
The current practice of total knee replacement that is performed in the US has minimal effects on quality of life among patients.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Electroacupuncture May Help Reduce Opioid Use in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis