Total Knee Arthroplasty
Suspecting that this phenomenon might be the source of my nighttime pain, causing significant REM sleep deprivation, I reasoned that a neuromodulator such as a gabapentinoid might be helpful.
Addition of an interspace between the popliteal artery and capsule of the posterior knee block and adductor canal block to periarticular injection is associated with less pain after total knee arthroplasty.
Sciatic nerve block may represent an effective complement to femoral nerve block for total knee arthroplasty.
Fewer respiratory, GI issues; reductions also seen in opioid prescriptions and hospital length of stay
Factors influencing peak plasma total ropivacaine concentration after local infiltration analgesia in patients undergoing total knee arthroscopy included age, weight, creatinine, and female sex.
Use of the 2006 vs 2007 criteria for the diagnosis of complex regional pain syndrome may lead to the misdiagnosis of patients experiencing unexplained excessive pain after total knee arthroplasty.
The use of staged bilateral continuous femoral nerve blockade and single-injection sciatic nerve blockade with single-injection subarachnoid block may effectively control pain following bilateral total knee arthroplasty.
Patients undergoing total hip and total knee arthroplasties in small- and medium-sized hospitals have been receiving increasingly greater multimodal approaches for postoperative pain management.
The use of perioperative intravenous corticosteroids provides effective pain relief, has a favorable safety profile, and is associated with a reduction in opioid use in patients undergoing total knee or hip arthroplasty.
Electrotherapy and acupuncture were both found to reduce and delay opioid consumption after total knee arthroplasty.
In patients undergoing total knee arthroplasty, sciatic nerve block plus femoral nerve block was more effective for pain relief than local infiltration analgesia plus femoral nerve block.
Inpatient rehabilitation did not improve mobility among adult patients undergoing uncomplicated total knee arthroplasty at 26 weeks after surgery compared with a home-based monitoring program
Patients taking opioids before total knee arthroplasty may have greater pain after the procedure.
Sciatic Nerve Block Plus Femoral Nerve Block May Provide Superior Pain Relief After Total Knee ArthroplastyMay 24, 2017
The meta-analysis indicated that sciatic plus femoral nerve blocks provide analgesia superior to local infiltration combined with femoral nerve block at 24 and 48 hours following TKA.
More people in the US would undergo total knee arthroplasty if it were not for its elective nature and the psychological factors behind the decision to undergo the procedure.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Risks Associated With Co-Administration of Aspirin and Other NSAIDs
- Stages of Low Back Pain Have Specific Sets of Clinical Indicators
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- First Non-Opioid Drug Approved for Managing Opioid Withdrawal Symptoms
- Pain Interference Associated With Depression, Pain Self-Efficacy in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Effect of Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs on Fatal, Nonfatal Drug Overdoses
- Standardized SCS Workflow May Effectively Alleviate Failed Back Surgery Syndrome-Related Pain
- Marijuana Legalization and Opioid Prescribing Rates
- Medical Marijuana Users More Likely to Use Prescription Drugs for Medical, Nonmedical Purposes
- Interbrain Coupling During Handholding Associated With Analgesia, Empathy
- Remission Rates and Predictors of Chronic Headache
- Overuse and Underuse of Imaging Common in Low Back Pain Management
- Unit-Dose Packaging of Buprenorphine-Naloxone Effective on Unintentional Pediatric Exposure
- Language Used in Medical Record Can Affect Patient Care
- Opioid-Related Adverse Drug Events Associated With Worse Patient, Cost Outcomes