Generic Name and Formulations:
Trimethobenzamide HCl 300mg; caps.
Indications for TIGAN:
Treatment of post-op or gastroenteritis-associated nausea and vomiting.
Use lowest effective dose. 300mg 3–4 times daily. Elderly or renal impairment (CrCl <70mL/min/1.73m2): reduce dose by increasing the dosing interval.
Acute dystonic reactions. Extrapyramidal symptoms. May mask other serious disorders (eg, encephalopathy, metabolic imbalance). Children (Reye's syndrome). Monitor for hepatic impairment; discontinue if occurs. Renal impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by alcohol (avoid), other CNS depressants (eg, sedatives, hypnotics, opiates, anxiolytics, antipsychotics, anticholinergics); monitor.
Parkinson-like symptoms, drowsiness, blood dyscrasias, blurred vision, coma, seizures, depression, diarrhea, disorientation, dizziness, jaundice, hypotension (inj), headache, muscle cramps, opisthotonos; hepatotoxicity, hypersensitivity reactions.
Caps—100; Single-use vials (2mL)—25; Multi-dose vial (20mL)—1
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Electroacupuncture May Help Reduce Opioid Use in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis