THYROLAR 1/2 Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Liotrix (contains liothyronine sodium (T3) 6.25mcg and levothyroxine sodium (T4) 25mcg); tabs.
Indications for THYROLAR 1/2:
Hypothyroidism: initially one tab of Thyrolar 1/2 daily (long-standing myxedema: initially one tab of Thyrolar 1/4 daily); increase by one tab of Thyrolar 1/4 every 2–3 weeks; usual maintenance: one tab of Thyrolar 1 to one tab of Thyrolar 2 daily. Myxedema coma: see literature.
Hypothyroidism: <6months: one tab of Thyrolar 1/4 to one tab of Thyrolar 1/2 daily. 6–12months: one tab of Thyrolar 1/2 to one tab of Thyrolar 1/2 + one tab of Thyrolar 1/4 daily; 1–5yrs: one tab of Thyrolar 1/2 + one tab of Thyrolar 1/4 to one tab of Thyrolar 1 daily; 6–12yrs: one tab of Thyrolar 1 to one tab of Thyrolar 1 + one tab of Thyrolar 1/2 daily; >12yrs: more than one tab of Thyrolar 1 + one tab of Thyrolar 1/2 daily.
Uncorrected adrenocortical insufficiency. Untreated thyrotoxicosis.
Not for treatment of obesity. Cardiovascular disease, angina, elderly: use lower initial dose. Adrenocortical insufficiency. Monitor for craniosynostosis in infants. Pregnancy (Cat. A). Nursing mothers.
T3 and T4 (synthetic).
Monitor oral anticoagulants, hypoglycemics. Estrogens affect thyroid function tests. Toxicity with larger doses of sympathomimetics (e.g., anorectics).
Hyperthyroidism; transient hair loss in children.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis