Generic Name and Formulations:
Ceftaroline fosamil 400mg, 600mg; per vial; pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution.
Indications for TEFLARO:
Susceptible bacterial community-acquired pneumonia and acute skin and skin structure infections.
≥18yrs: Give by IV infusion over 5–60mins. Treat skin and skin structure for 5–14 days; treat pneumonia for 5–7days. CrCl >50mL/min: 600mg every 12hrs. Renal impairment (CrCl >30–≤50mL/min): 400mg every 12hrs; (CrCl ≥15–≤30mL/min): 300mg every 12hrs; ESRD (including hemodialysis): 200mg every 12hrs (dose after dialysis on dialysis days).
<2mos: not established. Give by IV infusion over 5–60mins. 2mos–<2yrs: 8mg/kg every 8hrs. ≥2yrs–<18yrs (≤33kg): 12mg/kg every 8hrs; (>33kg): 400mg every 8hrs or 600mg every 12hrs. All: treat for 5–14 days.
Penicillin or other beta-lactam allergy. GI disease (esp. colitis). Monitor for hemolytic anemia. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
May cause false (+) direct Coomb's test.
Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, pyrexia, rash; pseudomembranous colitis, superinfection.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Prescribed Opioids Difficulties Scale Effective for Assessing Concerns of Patients With Chronic Pain
- Predictors of Opioid Overdose in High-Risk Users
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Emergency Physicians Offer Recommendations for Identifying and Managing Opioid Use Disorder
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Higher PainDETECT Scores, Neuropathic Pain Preoperatively May Increase Risk for Chronic Pain Post-TKR
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Erenumab Reduces Monthly Migraine Days in Patients With Treatment-Resistant Migraine
- Government and Industry Lead the Way in Funding USPSTF Systematic Reviews
- Communication-Based Intervention Increases Goals-of-Care Discussions Between Physicians, Patients With Serious Illness