Generic Name and Formulations:
Cimetidine 300mg, 400mg; tabs.
Prestige Brands, Inc.
Indications for TAGAMET:
Active duodenal or benign gastric ulcer. Maintenance of healed duodenal ulcers. Pathological hypersecretory conditions (eg, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome). GERD.
Active duodenal ulcer: 800mg at bedtime for 4–8 weeks. Maintenance: 400mg at bedtime. Active benign gastric ulcer: 800mg at bedtime or 300mg 4 times daily with meals and at bedtime for 6 weeks. Hypersecretory conditions: 300mg 4 times daily with meals and at bedtime; max 2.4g/day. GERD: 800mg 2 times daily or 400mg 4 times daily for max 12 weeks; see full labeling. For difficult to heal ulcers: see full labeling.
<16 yrs: not recommended; see full labeling. Doses of 20–40mg/kg per day have been used.
Impaired renal or hepatic function. Elderly. Debilitated. Immunocompromised. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid antacids within 1 hour of dosing. May potentiate anticoagulants, phenytoin, theophylline, lidocaine, and others (see literature) by inhibition of hepatic microsomal enzymes. May alter absorption of drugs affected by gastric pH (e.g., ketoconazole), give 2 hours before cimetidine.
Headache, diarrhea, dizziness, somnolence, CNS disturbances, gynecomastia, rash (maybe serious eg, Stevens-Johnson syndrome); rare: arthralgia, myalgia, blood dyscrasias, nephritis, increased serum transaminases, pancreatitis, bradycardia, tachycardia; increased risk of community-acquired pneumonia (see literature).
Tabs 300mg—100; 400mg—60
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis