Substance Use Disorder
For patients with comorbid substance use disorder and anxiety, adding cognitive behavioral therapy for anxiety disorders to typical treatment for substance abuse disorders may help prevent the return of symptoms.
Causes of death in the year after a nonfatal opioid overdose were often related to substance use disorders, as well as to a range of mental health and medical conditions.
While many treatments for substance use disorder are not evidence based, several evidence-based approaches have shown effectiveness in court-mandated treatment settings.
Based on current evidence, there is a strong consensus that medication-assisted treatment is recommended over detoxification in the treatment of opioid use disorder during pregnancy.
Recent physician-prescribed opioids represent the main source of provenance of the drug in individuals age ≥65 years who misuse them.
April 28, 2018 is National Prescription Drug Take Back Day.
New findings suggest that DSM-5 criteria may apply to betel use disorder and offer opportunities to advance the study and understanding of substance use disorder in general.
The proposal addresses inappropriate ICD-10-CM coding options for withdrawal from opioids, sedatives, or stimulants.
Between 2005 and 2014, the prevalence of chronic conditions increased across all segments of the childbearing population, including substance use disorder.
A motivational interviewing intervention delivered by trained counselors reduced the rate of opioid overdoses in participants with opioid use disorder.
New pharmacotherapies in combination with psychotherapy and counseling have proven effective in preventing relapse.
Quetiapine-XR may be effective in reducing substance abuse in patients with comorbid bipolar disorder.
Substance Use Disorder is a chronic medical condition, and should be treated like one.
A targeted form of CBT is effective in treating chronic pain and substance use disorder in veterans with hepatitis C virus infection.
Short-term memory loss may be yet another price of America's opioid addiction epidemic.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Aetna-CVS Merger Approved
- Striking a Balance Between Opioid Surveillance and Patient Privacy
- Demographic Characteristics of Pregnant Women With Opioid Use Disorder
- Effects of Mindfulness Therapy, Pharmacologic Prophylaxis on Catecholamine Levels in Migraine
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Seven-Item Pain Intensity Measure Reliable in Individuals With Dementia
- Managing Comorbid Opioid and Alcohol Use Disorder
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- Reviewing the Efficacy of Invasive Procedures for Chronic Back, Knee Pain
- What Do Clinicians Do in Response to Aberrant Urine Drug Test Results?
- Photo Elicitation on Social Media Can Provide Perspective to Patients With Chronic Pain
- Patients Assume Postoperative Opioids Are Best for Pain Relief
- Educational Disabilities More Likely With Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- When Will Medicine Join the Women's Movement?