Generic Name and Formulations:
Nateglinide 60mg, 120mg; tabs.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for STARLIX:
Adjunct to diet and exercise to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Limitations Of use:
Not for treatment of type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis.
Take 1–30mins before meals; skip dose if meal is skipped. 120mg 3 times daily. If near glycemic goal, initially 60mg 3 times daily.
Increased risk of hypoglycemia with changes in physical activity, meal patterns, renal or hepatic impairment: monitor glucose more frequently and may need to adjust dose. Reduced symptomatic awareness of hypoglycemia in longstanding diabetes, diabetic nerve disease, or recurrent hypoglycemia. Moderate-to-severe hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased hypoglycemia with concomitant other antidiabetic agents, NSAIDs, salicylates, MAOIs, non-selective β-blockers, anabolic hormones, guanethidine, and CYP2C9 inhibitors (eg, amiodarone, fluconazole, voriconazole, sulfinpyrazone), alcohol; may need dose reduction and monitor. May be antagonized by thiazides, corticosteroids, thyroid products, sympathomimetics, somatropin, somatostatin analogs (eg, lanreotide, octreotide), and CYP inducers (eg, rifampin, phenytoin, St John's Wort); may need dose increase and monitor. β-blockers, clonidine, guanethidine, reserpine may mask hypoglycemia.
Upper RTI, back pain, flu symptoms, dizziness, arthropathy, diarrhea; hypoglycemia, weight gain.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis