Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefditoren (as pivoxil) 200mg, 400mg; tabs.
Vansen Pharma Inc.
Indications for SPECTRACEF:
Susceptible mild to moderate acute bacterial exacerbation of chronic bronchitis, community-acquired pneumonia (CAP), pharyngitis/tonsillitis, uncomplicated skin and skin structure infections.
Take with meals. Bronchitis: 400mg twice daily for 10 days. CAP: 400mg twice daily for 14 days. Pharyngitis/tonsillitis, skin and skin structure: 200mg twice daily for 10 days. Renal impairment (CrCl 30–49mL/min): max 200mg twice daily; CrCl <30mL/min: max 200mg once daily; ESRD: not established.
Milk protein allergy (not lactose intolerance). Carnitine deficiency or conditions causing carnitine deficiency.
Penicillin or other allergy. Not for long-term therapy. Decreased muscle mass (risk of carnitine deficiency). Monitor prothrombin time in renal or hepatic impairment or poor nutritional state. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Avoid drugs that reduce gastric acidity. Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) glucose test with Clinitest, Fehling's or Benedict's soln, Coomb's test; false (–) with ferricyanide test.
GI upset, headache, transient reduction in plasma carnitine levels; pseudomembranous colitis.
Tabs (200mg)—20-count blister pack; 400mg—2-, 20-, 28-count blister pack
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Abuse-Deterrent Opioid Formulations: Barriers to Broader Use
- Women Frequently Prescribed High Doses of Opioids After Vaginal Delivery
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Medical Cannabis Legalization Associated With Reduced Schedule III Opioid Prescriptions
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- Prioritizing Rest in Hospital Settings: Poor Sleep Increases Costs, Complications, and Mortality
- Pain Catastrophizing Decreases in Rheumatoid Arthritis After DMARD Initiation
- Addressing Commercial Incentives in the Medical Device Industry
- Cancer Patients Treated With Step III Opioids Often Have Sleep Disturbances
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective