Generic Name and Formulations:
Minocycline (as HCl) 55mg, 65mg, 80mg, 105mg, 115mg; ext-rel tabs.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for SOLODYN:
Inflammatory lesions of non-nodular moderate to severe acne.
Swallow whole. Give approximately 1mg/kg once daily for 12wks. Weight-based dosing (45–49kg): 45mg; (50–59kg): 55mg; (60–71kg): 65mg; (72–84kg): 80mg; (85–96kg): 90mg; (97–110kg): 105mg; (111–125kg): 115mg; (126–136kg): 135mg. Renal impairment: reduce dose or extend dosing intervals.
<12yrs: not established.
Not bioequivalent with other minocycline products. Monitor blood, renal, and hepatic function. Discontinue if superinfection, DRESS syndrome, or autoimmune syndromes develop. Monitor for visual disturbances. Renal or hepatic impairment. Avoid sun or UV light. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid concomitant penicillins, isotretinoin. Fatal renal toxicity with concomitant methoxyflurane. May need to reduce concomitant anticoagulant dose. Absorption reduced by antacids containing aluminum, calcium, magnesium and iron. May antagonize oral contraceptives. May interfere with fluorescence test.
Headache, fatigue, dizziness, pruritus; teeth discoloration, delayed skeletal development, intracranial hypertension, C.difficile-associated diarrhea, photosensitivity, hyperpigmentation, hepatotoxicity, skin/hypersensitivity reactions (may be severe).
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Stat Consult: Chronic Low Back Pain
- Opioid Misuse May Help Predict Alcohol Dependence Treatment Outcomes
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Methadone Improves Short-Term Outcomes Better Than Morphine in Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Hospital-Owned Practices Associated With Positive Workplace Perceptions Among Staff
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Chinese Traditional Medicine Showed Effectiveness on Pain, Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer