Generic Name and Formulations:
Metaxalone 800mg; scored tabs.
King Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for SKELAXIN:
As adjunct treatment for acute, painful musculoskeletal conditions.
800mg 3–4 times daily.
≤12yrs: not established.
Anemias. Significant renal or hepatic dysfunction.
Renal or hepatic impairment (monitor LFTs). Elderly. Pregnancy, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Muscle relaxant (central).
Increased risk of sedation, respiratory depression with concomitant other CNS depressants (eg, alcohol, benzodiazepines, opioids, TCAs); monitor closely. Risk of serotonin syndrome with serotonergic drugs (eg, SSRIs, SNRIs, TCAs, triptans, 5-HT3 antagonists, opioids, mirtazapine, trazodone, tramadol, MAOIs, linezolid, IV methylene blue); monitor and discontinue if suspected. Concomitant with food may enhance CNS depression. May cause false (+) Benedict's test.
Drowsiness, dizziness, headache, nervousness, GI upset, rash, jaundice, hemolytic anemia, leukopenia; hypersensitivity reactions.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- FDA Approves Minimally-Invasive, Non-Drug Therapy for Pain Management
- Chronic Migraine and Medication Overuse Headache Linked to Stress
- Set of Personality Traits May Predict Prescription Drug Use, Misuse in Young Adults
- The Opioid Crisis: District by District
- Opioid Administration, Prescribing in the ED on the Decline in Recent Years