Generic Name and Formulations:
Riluzole 50mg; tabs.
Covis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for RILUTEK:
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
Take on an empty stomach. 50mg every 12 hours.
Hepatic insufficiency; discontinue if ALT ≥5xULN or if jaundice develops; rechallenge not recommended. Measure LFTs before and during therapy: ALT every month for first 3 months, every 3 months for the remainder of the year, then periodically thereafter. Increased risk of neutropenia; monitor for febrile illness and obtain WBC. Perform chest radiography if respiratory symptoms develop. Females. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with concomitant hepatotoxic agents (eg, allopurinol, methyldopa, sulfasalazine). Avoid excessive alcohol. May be potentiated by CYP1A2 inhibitors (eg, caffeine, phenacetin, theophylline, amitriptyline, quinolones). May be antagonized by CYP1A2 inducers (eg, cigarette smoke, charcoal-broiled food, rifampicin, omeprazole).
Asthenia, nausea, dizziness, decreased lung function, diarrhea, abdominal pain, pneumonia, vomiting, vertigo, circumoral paresthesia, anorexia, somnolence; abnormal liver function tests, neutropenia, interstitial lung disease, hypersensitivity pneumonitis.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Stat Consult: Chronic Low Back Pain
- Opioid Misuse May Help Predict Alcohol Dependence Treatment Outcomes
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Methadone Improves Short-Term Outcomes Better Than Morphine in Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Hospital-Owned Practices Associated With Positive Workplace Perceptions Among Staff
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Chinese Traditional Medicine Showed Effectiveness on Pain, Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer