John M. Davis III, MD, MS, from the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, and Jennifer Gorman, MD, MPH, from The Polyclinic in Seattle, Washington, discuss the evolving collaborative care therapy model in RA.
The available evidence suggests that radiofrequency ablation is a feasible treatment option for chronic hip pain associated with degenerative diseases.
The lack of a standard definition for disease flare made recognizing them complicated, but it's now easier thanks to a new and effective identification tool from OMERACT.
Patients with RA have a significantly higher risk of cardiovascular disease, and cardiac magnetic resonance can help with early diagnosis.
Certain inflammatory disorders may increase the risk for cardiometabolic events and all-cause mortality.
Eating fish at least twice a week may significantly reduce the pain and swelling associated with rheumatoid arthritis.
Use of the JAK inhibitor peficitinib in combination with certain csDMARDs results in a dose-dependent ACR20 response rate in patients with RA over 12 weeks.
No clear association was found between health status and ultrasound remission in patients with rheumatoid arthritis in clinical remission.
High-frequency color Doppler ultrasonography combined with anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide antibody testing may allow for earlier diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis.
Patients with RA who were treated in the first 6 months had a lower risk of death.
DMARDs alone or with methotrexate and tofacitinib plus methotrexate improved disease activity and remission rates in patients with RA who have not responded to previous biologic therapy.
This article discusses the most prevalent risk factors, as well as the clinical signs and symptoms, associated with RA.
This study included phase 3 trial in patients taking baricitinib, adalimumab, or placebo in addition to methotrexate background therapy.
A phase 3, double-blind, randomized placebo-controlled study was conducted in 551 patients with active RA who received secukinumab, abatacept, or placebo.
The cause of the RA-CVD link is unclear, although viral infection has been implicated in some studies.
Omega-3 fatty acids reduce the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines.
For patients with rheumatoid arthritis, etanercept is associated with lower risk for general infections and tuberculosis compared with monoclonal antibody treatment,
There is little evidence to support the utility of biomarkers to guide clinical care for optimal RA treatment.
Dr Krant discussed some of the issues facing patients with RA.
Pain, fatigue, and independence comprised the most important domains of patient-perceived remission in rheumatoid arthritis.
Patients with RA are often not appropriately vaccinated against herpes zoster, despite vaccine recommendations.
"Defining self-assessed disease activity states may be useful to prompt patients to seek medical advice when RA is active."
Even slight reductions in body weight can improve pain and mobility in patients with arthritis.
A Pain-Related Beliefs and Attitudes about Sleep scale assesses attitudes about sleep among individuals with chronic pain.
A treat-to-target approach using tight ultrasound goals was not found to improve disease activity, radiographic joint damage, or physical function.
While the MUSICA trial did not establish noninferiority for a lower dosage of MTX when combined with adalimumab, it may be an appropriate option for patients who require a reduction due to MTX toxicity.
Erelzi, a biosimilar for Enbrel, treats rheumatoid arthritis and other inflammatory diseases.
Cognitive behavioral therapy, expressive writing, mindfulness, problem-solving: some of the complementary treatment options for RA chronic pain management,
The pregnant patient with rheumatoid arthritis may need to have pain medication changed due to potential effects on the fetus.
Serotonin shows it plays a fundamental role in RA through regulation of the Th17/T-regulatory cell balance.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Prescribed Opioids Difficulties Scale Effective for Assessing Concerns of Patients With Chronic Pain
- Predictors of Opioid Overdose in High-Risk Users
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Emergency Physicians Offer Recommendations for Identifying and Managing Opioid Use Disorder
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Men With Migraines May Have Increased Serum Estradiol, Androgen Deficiency
- Fremanezumab Effective in Reversion of Chronic Migraine to Episodic Migraine
- Endocannabinoids May Be Elevated in Women With Fibromyalgia
- Putting Patients in the Physician's Seat: Smartphone Technology Is Changing the Healthcare Landscape
- Cardiovascular, Psychiatric Comorbidity Patterns Evident in Migraine