The available evidence suggests that radiofrequency ablation is a feasible treatment option for chronic hip pain associated with degenerative diseases.
The lack of a standard definition for disease flare made recognizing them complicated, but it's now easier thanks to a new and effective identification tool from OMERACT.
Patients with RA have a significantly higher risk of cardiovascular disease, and cardiac magnetic resonance can help with early diagnosis.
Certain inflammatory disorders may increase the risk for cardiometabolic events and all-cause mortality.
Eating fish at least twice a week may significantly reduce the pain and swelling associated with rheumatoid arthritis.
Use of the JAK inhibitor peficitinib in combination with certain csDMARDs results in a dose-dependent ACR20 response rate in patients with RA over 12 weeks.
No clear association was found between health status and ultrasound remission in patients with rheumatoid arthritis in clinical remission.
High-frequency color Doppler ultrasonography combined with anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide antibody testing may allow for earlier diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis.
Patients with RA who were treated in the first 6 months had a lower risk of death.
DMARDs alone or with methotrexate and tofacitinib plus methotrexate improved disease activity and remission rates in patients with RA who have not responded to previous biologic therapy.
This article discusses the most prevalent risk factors, as well as the clinical signs and symptoms, associated with RA.
This study included phase 3 trial in patients taking baricitinib, adalimumab, or placebo in addition to methotrexate background therapy.
A phase 3, double-blind, randomized placebo-controlled study was conducted in 551 patients with active RA who received secukinumab, abatacept, or placebo.
The cause of the RA-CVD link is unclear, although viral infection has been implicated in some studies.
Omega-3 fatty acids reduce the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines.
For patients with rheumatoid arthritis, etanercept is associated with lower risk for general infections and tuberculosis compared with monoclonal antibody treatment,
There is little evidence to support the utility of biomarkers to guide clinical care for optimal RA treatment.
Dr Krant discussed some of the issues facing patients with RA.
Pain, fatigue, and independence comprised the most important domains of patient-perceived remission in rheumatoid arthritis.
Patients with RA are often not appropriately vaccinated against herpes zoster, despite vaccine recommendations.
"Defining self-assessed disease activity states may be useful to prompt patients to seek medical advice when RA is active."
Even slight reductions in body weight can improve pain and mobility in patients with arthritis.
A Pain-Related Beliefs and Attitudes about Sleep scale assesses attitudes about sleep among individuals with chronic pain.
A treat-to-target approach using tight ultrasound goals was not found to improve disease activity, radiographic joint damage, or physical function.
While the MUSICA trial did not establish noninferiority for a lower dosage of MTX when combined with adalimumab, it may be an appropriate option for patients who require a reduction due to MTX toxicity.
Erelzi, a biosimilar for Enbrel, treats rheumatoid arthritis and other inflammatory diseases.
Cognitive behavioral therapy, expressive writing, mindfulness, problem-solving: some of the complementary treatment options for RA chronic pain management,
The pregnant patient with rheumatoid arthritis may need to have pain medication changed due to potential effects on the fetus.
Serotonin shows it plays a fundamental role in RA through regulation of the Th17/T-regulatory cell balance.
Patients seen in practices with NPs or PAs had lower RA disease activity over 2 years compared to those seen in rheumatologist-only practices.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Reviewing the Efficacy, Safety, and Tolerability of Cannabis-Based Medicines for Chronic Neuropathic Pain
- Femoral Nerve Block Alone or in Combination With Sciatic Nerve Block for TKA: A Meta-Analysis
- Tackling the Chronic Pain and Opioid Use Disorder Crises Through Public-Private Partnerships
- How the City of San Francisco Is Tackling the Intertwined HIV/HCV and Opioid Epidemics
- The State of Drug Storage, Disposal Labeling Information for Opioid Analgesics
- Radiofrequency Ablation for Chronic Hip Pain: Reviewing the Evidence
- Opioid Use Disorder Treatment: Evidence-Based Guideline
- Betel Quid Addiction and Implications for Substance Use Disorder
- Low Back Pain: Contributing Factors, Prophylactic Strategies, and Effective Treatments
- Exparel Approved for Use as Interscalene Brachial Plexus Nerve Block
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation May Prevent Migraine in Adolescents
- Widespread Impact of Reducing Opioids, Adding IV Acetaminophen for Postsurgical Pain Management
- GI Safety Compared for NSAIDs in Patients With Arthritis
- Opioid Prescribing Trends in Patients With, Without Cancer
- DOJ Rescinds Protections Afforded by Americans With Disabilities Act