Generic Name and Formulations:
Rabies vaccine, inactivated 2.5IU/mL; pwd for IM inj after reconstitution; may contain trace amounts of bovine gelatin, chicken protein, neomycin, chlortetracycline, and amphotericin B.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for RABAVERT:
Preexposure immunization and post-exposure prophylaxis of rabies.
Adults and Children:
Adults: inject into deltoid area. Small children: inject into thigh. Preexposure immunization: 3 inj of 1mL IM each on day 0, 7, and either day 21 or 28. Booster: 1 dose as needed to maintain antibody titer (see literature). Post-exposure prophylaxis: a 5-dose regimen of 1mL IM given on days 0, 3, 7, 14, and 28 (give 1st dose with human rabies immunoglobulin at a separate site). If previously immunized: 2 inj of 1mL each on days 0 and 3 (no immune globulin needed).
Immunocompromised: may get suboptimal response (monitor titers). Postpone preexposure immunization during acute febrile illness or infection. Egg allergy. Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Immunosuppressants: may get suboptimal response.
Local reactions, lymphadenopathy, headache, myalgia, malaise, dizziness, neuroparalytic events, anaphylaxis.
Single-dose vial—1 (w. diluent)
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis