Generic Name and Formulations:
Propylthiouracil 50mg; scored tabs; contains docusate sodium.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Propylthiouracil:
Give in 3 equally divided doses every 8hrs. Initially 300mg/day. Severe conditions: initially 400mg/day; max 900mg/day. Maintenance: 100–150mg/day.
Give in 3 equally divided doses every 8hrs. <6yrs: not recommended. ≥6yrs: initially 50mg/day; may upward titrate based on response, TSH, and free T4 levels.
Should be reserved for those intolerant to methimazole and in whom radioactive iodine therapy or surgery are not appropriate treatments. Risk of severe liver injury and acute liver failure. Monitor for signs of hepatic dysfunction esp. in the 1st 6 months of therapy; discontinue if occur and obtain LFTs and ALT/AST levels. Discontinue if agranulocytosis, aplastic anemia, ANCA-positive vasculitis, hepatitis, interstitial pneumonitis, fever, or exfoliative dermatitis is suspected. Monitor thyroid function periodically, prothrombin time esp. before surgical procedures. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers.
May potentiate anticoagulants. Caution with other drugs that may cause agranulocytosis. May need to reduce doses of beta-blockers, digitalis glycosides, theophylline at euthyroid state.
Rash, urticaria, GI upset, arthralgia, paresthesia, taste loss/perversion, hair loss, myalgia, headache, drowsiness, edema, vertigo, jaundice, blood dycrasias, lupus-like syndrome, drug fever, hepatitis, hypoprothrombinemia.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis