Generic Name and Formulations:
Finasteride 1mg; tabs.
Merck & Co., Inc.
Indications for PROPECIA:
Treatment of male pattern hair loss (androgenetic alopecia) in men only.
1mg once daily.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Women. Children. Women of childbearing potential must not handle crushed or broken tablets. Pregnancy (Cat.X). Nursing mothers.
Increased risk of high-grade prostate cancer. Hepatic dysfunction. Consider doubling PSA in men >41yrs of age without BPH who are undergoing PSA test.
Type II 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor.
Decreased libido, erectile dysfunction, ejaculation disorder (all rare).
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Abuse-Deterrent Opioid Formulations: Barriers to Broader Use
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Medical Cannabis Legalization Associated With Reduced Schedule III Opioid Prescriptions
- Electroacupuncture May Help Reduce Opioid Use in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- Opioid Use Disorder Prevalence at Delivery on the Rise in the US, According to CDC
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Pharmacologically Induced Headache Accompanied by Dilated Cephalic Vessels
- IV Lidocaine May Be Safe, Efficacious for Pediatric Status Migraine
- Gray Matter Changes in Migraine Associated With Clinical Characteristics