From 2002 to 2015, the percentage of individuals in the United States who used gabapentin and/or pregabalin increased in 1.2% to 3.9%.
The use of pregabalin alone vs pregabalin plus opioids or opioids alone may result in more favorable outcomes in terms of pain interference and pain severity in patients with fibromyalgia.
Pregabalin, but not duloxetine, was shown to improve pain and function scores in patients with hand osteoarthritis.
The FDA has approved Lyrica CR, a once-daily treatment for the management of neuropathic pain associated with diabetic peripheral neuropathy and the management of postherpetic neuralgia.
The dopaminergic medication rotigotine and the α-2-δ ligands gabapentin enacarbil and pregabalin provide similar treatment effects for patients with restless leg syndrome.
Gabapentinoid use presents significant risk for adverse events and provides few benefits for patients with chronic low back pain.
The use of gabapentin, pregabalin, or both is effective for reducing pruritus and neuropathic pain in burn survivors.
Patients with neuropathic pain are more likely to achieve effective therapeutic dose when treated with pregabalin compared with gabapentin.
In patients with concomitant fibromyalgia and PTSD, opioid therapy was shown to improve quality of life and help patients return to a greater sense of "normalcy."
Dr Cuevas-Trisan covered the evaluation and management of diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain during his presentation at PAINWeek 2017.
Preemptive analgesia seeks to prevent central sensitization and ensuing chronic pain, a concept that has shown promising results in preliminary studies.
Clinicians may be overprescribing gabapentinoids, in part as a response to the opioid epidemic, and prescribing them for almost any type of pain.
Patients with neuropathic pain who do not respond to a low dose of pregabalin can benefit from a higher dose.
Researchers identified characteristics associated with pain improvement in patients with fibromyalgia who take antidepressant medications.
In a 3-year period, 45% of patients with trigeminal neuralgia received at least 3 unique treatments.
A randomized trial found that pregabalin is not more effective than placebo in treating sciatica, and resulted in more adverse effects.
A number of shortcomings are associated with systematic reviews and meta-analyses of postoperative care.
Several classes of drugs reduce neuropathy-related pain better than placebo.
In patients with sciatica pain, treatment with pregabalin did not significantly reduce pain intensity compared with placebo.
The therapeutic efficacy of pregabalin in treating 2 types neuropathic pain (NeP) is not influenced by concomitant NeP medications.
Symptoms of diabetic peripheral neuropathy include lower-extremity weakness, in addition to tingling, pain and burning.
Lower cost for pregabalin Tx due to lower use of concomitant medications, fewer primary care visits, and fewer days of sick leave.
In all patients together, pregabalin significantly improved pain score at end point versus placebo; similar results were seen in each pain duration category.
A surprising number of patients already prescribed opioids were found to be abusing gabapentin.
Pregabalin was associated with shifts toward greater pain relief and improved function compared to placebo.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Reviewing the Efficacy, Safety, and Tolerability of Cannabis-Based Medicines for Chronic Neuropathic Pain
- Femoral Nerve Block Alone or in Combination With Sciatic Nerve Block for TKA: A Meta-Analysis
- Tackling the Chronic Pain and Opioid Use Disorder Crises Through Public-Private Partnerships
- How the City of San Francisco Is Tackling the Intertwined HIV/HCV and Opioid Epidemics
- Pain Tolerance in Buprenorphine Maintenance Treatment
- Radiofrequency Ablation for Chronic Hip Pain: Reviewing the Evidence
- Opioid Use Disorder Treatment: Evidence-Based Guideline
- Betel Quid Addiction and Implications for Substance Use Disorder
- Low Back Pain: Contributing Factors, Prophylactic Strategies, and Effective Treatments
- Peripherally Acting Opioid and Cannabinoid May Be Effective for Neuropathic Pain
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation May Prevent Migraine in Adolescents
- Widespread Impact of Reducing Opioids, Adding IV Acetaminophen for Postsurgical Pain Management
- GI Safety Compared for NSAIDs in Patients With Arthritis
- Opioid Prescribing Trends in Patients With, Without Cancer
- DOJ Rescinds Protections Afforded by Americans With Disabilities Act