From 2002 to 2015, the percentage of individuals in the United States who used gabapentin and/or pregabalin increased in 1.2% to 3.9%.
The use of pregabalin alone vs pregabalin plus opioids or opioids alone may result in more favorable outcomes in terms of pain interference and pain severity in patients with fibromyalgia.
Pregabalin, but not duloxetine, was shown to improve pain and function scores in patients with hand osteoarthritis.
The FDA has approved Lyrica CR, a once-daily treatment for the management of neuropathic pain associated with diabetic peripheral neuropathy and the management of postherpetic neuralgia.
The dopaminergic medication rotigotine and the α-2-δ ligands gabapentin enacarbil and pregabalin provide similar treatment effects for patients with restless leg syndrome.
Gabapentinoid use presents significant risk for adverse events and provides few benefits for patients with chronic low back pain.
The use of gabapentin, pregabalin, or both is effective for reducing pruritus and neuropathic pain in burn survivors.
Patients with neuropathic pain are more likely to achieve effective therapeutic dose when treated with pregabalin compared with gabapentin.
In patients with concomitant fibromyalgia and PTSD, opioid therapy was shown to improve quality of life and help patients return to a greater sense of "normalcy."
Dr Cuevas-Trisan covered the evaluation and management of diabetic peripheral neuropathic pain during his presentation at PAINWeek 2017.
Preemptive analgesia seeks to prevent central sensitization and ensuing chronic pain, a concept that has shown promising results in preliminary studies.
Clinicians may be overprescribing gabapentinoids, in part as a response to the opioid epidemic, and prescribing them for almost any type of pain.
Patients with neuropathic pain who do not respond to a low dose of pregabalin can benefit from a higher dose.
Researchers identified characteristics associated with pain improvement in patients with fibromyalgia who take antidepressant medications.
In a 3-year period, 45% of patients with trigeminal neuralgia received at least 3 unique treatments.
A randomized trial found that pregabalin is not more effective than placebo in treating sciatica, and resulted in more adverse effects.
A number of shortcomings are associated with systematic reviews and meta-analyses of postoperative care.
Several classes of drugs reduce neuropathy-related pain better than placebo.
In patients with sciatica pain, treatment with pregabalin did not significantly reduce pain intensity compared with placebo.
The therapeutic efficacy of pregabalin in treating 2 types neuropathic pain (NeP) is not influenced by concomitant NeP medications.
Symptoms of diabetic peripheral neuropathy include lower-extremity weakness, in addition to tingling, pain and burning.
Lower cost for pregabalin Tx due to lower use of concomitant medications, fewer primary care visits, and fewer days of sick leave.
In all patients together, pregabalin significantly improved pain score at end point versus placebo; similar results were seen in each pain duration category.
A surprising number of patients already prescribed opioids were found to be abusing gabapentin.
Pregabalin was associated with shifts toward greater pain relief and improved function compared to placebo.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Prescribed Opioids Difficulties Scale Effective for Assessing Concerns of Patients With Chronic Pain
- Predictors of Opioid Overdose in High-Risk Users
- Half of Patients Referred for Behavioral Treatment of Migraine Never Initiate Treatment
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Higher PainDETECT Scores, Neuropathic Pain Preoperatively May Increase Risk for Chronic Pain Post-TKR
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Erenumab Reduces Monthly Migraine Days in Patients With Treatment-Resistant Migraine
- Government and Industry Lead the Way in Funding USPSTF Systematic Reviews
- Communication-Based Intervention Increases Goals-of-Care Discussions Between Physicians, Patients With Serious Illness