Generic Name and Formulations:
Prednisone 1mg, 2.5mg, 5mg, 10mg, 20mg, 50mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Prednisone:
Adults and Children:
See full labeling. Initially 5–60mg daily.
Systemic fungal infections. Live vaccines.
Tuberculosis. Latent amebiasis. Strongyloides infestation. Hypothyroidism. Ocular herpes simplex. Cirrhosis. Renal insufficiency. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider prophylactic passive immune therapy. Ulcerative colitis if perforation pending. Peptic ulcer. Diverticulitis. Intestinal anastomoses. Myasthenia gravis. Hypertension. Osteoporosis. Diabetes. Kaposi's sarcoma. Supplement with additional steroids in physiologic stress. Avoid abrupt cessation. May increase risk and mask signs of infection. May cause electrolyte imbalances, adrenocortical insufficiency, psychotic derangements. Alternate, intermittent, or single-daily doses at 8AM minimize adrenal suppression. Use lowest effective dose. Monitor weight, growth, fluid and electrolyte balance. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Barbiturates, hydantoins, rifampin, other hepatic enyzme inducers may decrease effects. Potentiated by ketoconazole, troleandomycin. Excretion of high-dose aspirin increased. Caution with diuretics, digoxin, aspirin in hypoprothrombinemia. Potentiated by oral contraceptives. Monitor oral anticoagulants.
HPA axis suppression, increased susceptibility to infection, glaucoma, cataracts, secondary infections, hypokalemia, hypocalcemia, hypernatremia, hypertension, CHF, psychic disorders, myopathy, osteoporosis, peptic ulcer, dermal atrophy, increased intracranial pressure, carbohydrate intolerance.
Formerly known under the brand names Deltasone, Meticorten, Orasone, Paracort.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis