There is considerable variation in office-based physician visit rates by patient age and sex.
Researchers used administrative data to compare effectiveness measures in physicians who either did or did not maintain certification in the 20 years following their initial certification.
With the lack of compliance by administrators, primary care physicians face more administrative burdens.
Study investigators asked physicians whether they perceived specific clinical examples as an ethical dilemma.
Ranking or otherwise gauging physician quality isn't just a way to assign bragging rights — performance metrics can be used to set reimbursement levels, tailor insurance, and identify physicians who are falling behind.
A patient-specific preconversation communication-priming intervention targeting patients and clinicians is associated with an increase in goals-of-care discussions among patients with serious illness.
Introducing the Comprehensive Primary Care Initiative, a health care delivery model developed by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, improves primary care delivery but does not reduce Medicare spending enough to cover care management fees.
There are substantial limitations to depending only on institutional investigations of scientific misconduct.
A randomly selected group of 2,013 older adults, age 50 to 80 years, completed an online survey in March 2018 regarding their experiences with patient portals.
The current report includes enrollment projections only for the 151 institutions that grant MD degrees.
Nurse practitioner and physician comanagement in primary care has 3 vital attributes: effective communication; mutual respect and trust; and clinical alignment, also known as a shared philosophy of care.
Stigmatizing language used in medical records to describe patients can influence medical students and residents in terms of their attitudes towards the patient and their clinical decision-making.
Best practices have been developed for using electronic health records to enhance patient-centered care.
The direct primary care model is a potential alternative to the traditional fee-for-service payment model.
Mental health professionals regularly grapple with the best way to support clients navigating an onslaught of sexual violence in their daily lives.
Physician burnout has gained traction as a public health concern because more physicians are leaving medical practice altogether, resulting in decreased patient access and continuity of care.
Social media has proven to be an important tool across all professional fields, including medicine.
The proportion of practices with NPs and PAs increased modestly from 2008 to 2016, with similar growth found in specialty and primary care practices.
Identifying a patient's preferences and goals leads to a care plan that can reflect those goals, and this may improve patient satisfaction.
Physicians should be aware of the correct protocol for, as well as the laws involved in, firing employees.
Research is clear: Many physicians are struggling but they don't always feel comfortable speaking up.
Airplane cockpits have a lot in common with operating rooms: both host a small team that's trusted to perform an extraordinarily complex task with the clear understanding that any misstep could spell doom.
Fielding medical requests from friends and family can be a complex issue for physicians to navigate.
Researchers administered a survey to 160 physicians attending an educational session related to deprescribing.
Currently there are 2500 performance measures for US physicians listed by the National Quality Measures Clearinghouse.
The tool was used to assess all clinic encounters for patient satisfaction with the clinic experience, including physician communication score.
Although the eConsult system expedites patient access to specialty services, it can lead to increased workload — and subsequent burnout — among physicians.
Retail clinics can be more economically feasible for patients when compared with traditional medical clinics.
The ACP is focusing its efforts on improving health outcomes through the assessment of patients' social determinants of health.
No single solution to address sexual harassment in medicine exists, but physicians of all genders must come together to make progress.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Cannabis Use High in Migraine
- Sustained-Release Sodium Nitrite for Diabetic Neuropathic Pain Not Associated With Headaches
- Percutaneous Electrolysis May Be Useful Adjunct for Subacromial Pain Syndrome
- Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Associated With Reduced Risk for Opioid-Related Deaths
- Clonidine May Not Improve Post-Cesarean Delivery Analgesia
- Recommendations for Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Tolerance
- Vertebroplasty Comparable With Placebo for Acute Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Capsaicin 8% Patch May Be Effective in Neuropathic Pain
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Prior Authorization Policy May Help Reduce Long-Acting Opioid Use
- Deaths After Nonfatal Opioid Overdose: Causes and Risk Factors
- Targeted Educational Intervention Helped Reduce Opioid Exposure in Adult Inpatients
- Systematic Cross-Checking May Reduce Medical Errors in Emergency Departments
- Corticosteroid Plus Lidocaine Injections Do Not Alleviate Pain in Central Lumbar Spinal Stenosis
- Tofacitinib May Effectively Alleviate Pain in RA, Psoriatic Arthritis, and Ankylosing Spondylitis