Polymyxin B/Neomycin/Bacitracin/Hydrocortisone Oph Oint Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Polymyxin B sulfate 10000 Units, neomycin 0.35% (as sulfate), bacitracin zinc 400 Units, hydrocortisone 1%; per g.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Polymyxin B/Neomycin/Bacitracin/Hydrocortisone Oph Oint:
Ocular inflammation associated with infection.
1–2 drops or small amount of oint every 3–4 hours (may use susp more often); max 20mL or 8g per therapeutic course.
Ocular fungal, viral or mycobacterial infections.
Corneal or scleral thinning. Glaucoma. Monitor IOP, for secondary infections, and avoid abrupt cessation in prolonged use. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Antibiotics + steroid.
Local irritation, sensitization, masks infection, delays healing; in prolonged use: increased IOP, cataracts, corneal perforation, optic nerve damage.
Formerly known under the brand name Cortisporin.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Stat Consult: Chronic Low Back Pain
- Opioid Misuse May Help Predict Alcohol Dependence Treatment Outcomes
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Methadone Improves Short-Term Outcomes Better Than Morphine in Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Hospital-Owned Practices Associated With Positive Workplace Perceptions Among Staff
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Chinese Traditional Medicine Showed Effectiveness on Pain, Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer