In this retrospective analysis of the Pediatric Health Information System database, investigators obtained data on pediatric hospitalizations for opioid exposure in the US between 2004 and 2015.
The Food and Drug Administration is requiring that changes be made to the labeling of prescription cough and cold medicines containing codeine and hydrocodone.
The pregnant patient with rheumatoid arthritis may need to have pain medication changed due to potential effects on the fetus.
One study, published in the International Journal of Nursing Studies in 2015, found that parental preferences strongly influence decision-making when balancing pain relief against side effects for children on opioid therapy for postoperative pain.
Marathon Pharmaceuticals announced positive results from the Phase 3 study of Zingo (lidocaine hydrochloride monohydrate) for the reduction of venous access pain in pediatric patients.
New research in Pediatrics suggests that children who are exposed to antibiotics could have an increased risk of newly diagnosed juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA), but that antibiotic use could be a marker for abnormal immunity rather than a direct cause of JIA.
Study discusses link between opioid use and neonatal abstinence syndrome.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Abuse-Deterrent Opioid Formulations: Barriers to Broader Use
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Electroacupuncture May Help Reduce Opioid Use in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Medical Cannabis Legalization Associated With Reduced Schedule III Opioid Prescriptions
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- Predicting Pain Chronicization After Spine Surgery
- Chronic Low Back Pain Levels Vary Between Sex and Race
- FDA Approval of Medication With a Digital Monitoring System: Major Breakthrough or "Brave New World"?
- Errors in Clinical Notes Generated by Speech Recognition Are Not Uncommon
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?