In this retrospective analysis of the Pediatric Health Information System database, investigators obtained data on pediatric hospitalizations for opioid exposure in the US between 2004 and 2015.
The Food and Drug Administration is requiring that changes be made to the labeling of prescription cough and cold medicines containing codeine and hydrocodone.
The pregnant patient with rheumatoid arthritis may need to have pain medication changed due to potential effects on the fetus.
One study, published in the International Journal of Nursing Studies in 2015, found that parental preferences strongly influence decision-making when balancing pain relief against side effects for children on opioid therapy for postoperative pain.
Marathon Pharmaceuticals announced positive results from the Phase 3 study of Zingo (lidocaine hydrochloride monohydrate) for the reduction of venous access pain in pediatric patients.
New research in Pediatrics suggests that children who are exposed to antibiotics could have an increased risk of newly diagnosed juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA), but that antibiotic use could be a marker for abnormal immunity rather than a direct cause of JIA.
Study discusses link between opioid use and neonatal abstinence syndrome.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Supervised Injection Sites: Facts, Information, Pros, and Cons
- Chronic Pain May Be a Contributing Factor to Suicide
- Striking a Balance Between Opioid Surveillance and Patient Privacy
- Demographic Characteristics of Pregnant Women With Opioid Use Disorder
- Effects of Mindfulness Therapy, Pharmacologic Prophylaxis on Catecholamine Levels in Migraine
- Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Reviewing the Efficacy of Intrathecal Morphine, Ziconotide for Cancer- and Noncancer Chronic Pain
- Seven-Item Pain Intensity Measure Reliable in Individuals With Dementia
- Factors Associated With Suboptimal Interscalene Brachial Plexus Block for Arthroscopy
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- Scholarship Support Limited for Veterans Enrolling in MD Programs
- Alpha and Beta Band Activity in MS-Related Chronic Pain
- New Opioid-Induced Constipation Management Guidelines Available