One study, published in the International Journal of Nursing Studies in 2015, found that parental preferences strongly influence decision-making when balancing pain relief against side effects for children on opioid therapy for postoperative pain.
The presence of sleep disorders in children with chronic pain may result in greater pain levels and pain interference, a relationship that may in part be mediated by anxiety and depressive symptoms.
The prevalence of neck pain has been reported to be increasing among adolescents, but how this pain might affect head posture and endurance of the neck muscles in this age group has received little attention.
There was also a significant difference in hospital costs between the discharged and admitted patients, with an average increase in $4291.50 for admitted patients.
Risk of developing sedation/anesthesia adverse events continues up to age 23 years.
Preschool children may be confused by scales designed for older children, and their responses may be idiosyncratic and hard to interpret.
Survey suggests need for improvements in clinical practice, training, and communication on this topic.
AAP provides guidance relating to care team, resources committed to patient care, and pediatric-specific techniques.
Serious eye injuries, organ damage can occur, researchers warn.
Shortened fasting improves perioperative experience without raising pulmonary aspiration incidence.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Stat Consult: Chronic Low Back Pain
- Opioid Misuse May Help Predict Alcohol Dependence Treatment Outcomes
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Methadone Improves Short-Term Outcomes Better Than Morphine in Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Hospital-Owned Practices Associated With Positive Workplace Perceptions Among Staff
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Chinese Traditional Medicine Showed Effectiveness on Pain, Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer