Numerous pain medications are available, presenting a challenge for clinicians to determine which one is best for a particular patient.
In one analysis of acupuncture, a moderate effect size was found for acupuncture vs no treatment, while a smaller yet statistically significant effect size was found for acupuncture over sham acupuncture techniques.
Counseling is key to safe and effective opioid use and storage.
Review risk factors for complicated postoperative pain management.
The Risk Index for Overdose or Serious Opioid-Induced Respiratory Depression (RIOSORD) is a validated tool that can help clinicians quantify a patient's risk of overdose.
There are 5 skills that physicians can use to help treat patients with pain.
Several recent approvals of abuse-deterrent formulations have changed the landscape of options for pain management.
"Details matter" when taking an integrative approach to chronic pain care.
Good outcomes begin with a foundation of thorough evaluation and assessment.
Providers may overlook or be unaware of the different tools available to them to assist them in pain management decisions.
ED physicians should consider a patient's subjective pain assessment by specifically asking how pain is affecting function, and then adjust treatment approaches based on a physical examination.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Supervised Injection Sites: Facts, Information, Pros, and Cons
- Chronic Pain May Be a Contributing Factor to Suicide
- Striking a Balance Between Opioid Surveillance and Patient Privacy
- Demographic Characteristics of Pregnant Women With Opioid Use Disorder
- Effects of Mindfulness Therapy, Pharmacologic Prophylaxis on Catecholamine Levels in Migraine
- Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Reviewing the Efficacy of Intrathecal Morphine, Ziconotide for Cancer- and Noncancer Chronic Pain
- Seven-Item Pain Intensity Measure Reliable in Individuals With Dementia
- Factors Associated With Suboptimal Interscalene Brachial Plexus Block for Arthroscopy
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- Scholarship Support Limited for Veterans Enrolling in MD Programs
- Alpha and Beta Band Activity in MS-Related Chronic Pain
- New Opioid-Induced Constipation Management Guidelines Available