Numerous pain medications are available, presenting a challenge for clinicians to determine which one is best for a particular patient.
In one analysis of acupuncture, a moderate effect size was found for acupuncture vs no treatment, while a smaller yet statistically significant effect size was found for acupuncture over sham acupuncture techniques.
Counseling is key to safe and effective opioid use and storage.
Review risk factors for complicated postoperative pain management.
The Risk Index for Overdose or Serious Opioid-Induced Respiratory Depression (RIOSORD) is a validated tool that can help clinicians quantify a patient's risk of overdose.
There are 5 skills that physicians can use to help treat patients with pain.
Several recent approvals of abuse-deterrent formulations have changed the landscape of options for pain management.
"Details matter" when taking an integrative approach to chronic pain care.
Good outcomes begin with a foundation of thorough evaluation and assessment.
Providers may overlook or be unaware of the different tools available to them to assist them in pain management decisions.
ED physicians should consider a patient's subjective pain assessment by specifically asking how pain is affecting function, and then adjust treatment approaches based on a physical examination.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Reviewing the Efficacy, Safety, and Tolerability of Cannabis-Based Medicines for Chronic Neuropathic Pain
- Femoral Nerve Block Alone or in Combination With Sciatic Nerve Block for TKA: A Meta-Analysis
- Tackling the Chronic Pain and Opioid Use Disorder Crises Through Public-Private Partnerships
- How the City of San Francisco Is Tackling the Intertwined HIV/HCV and Opioid Epidemics
- The State of Drug Storage, Disposal Labeling Information for Opioid Analgesics
- Radiofrequency Ablation for Chronic Hip Pain: Reviewing the Evidence
- Opioid Use Disorder Treatment: Evidence-Based Guideline
- Betel Quid Addiction and Implications for Substance Use Disorder
- Low Back Pain: Contributing Factors, Prophylactic Strategies, and Effective Treatments
- Exparel Approved for Use as Interscalene Brachial Plexus Nerve Block
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation May Prevent Migraine in Adolescents
- Widespread Impact of Reducing Opioids, Adding IV Acetaminophen for Postsurgical Pain Management
- GI Safety Compared for NSAIDs in Patients With Arthritis
- Opioid Prescribing Trends in Patients With, Without Cancer
- DOJ Rescinds Protections Afforded by Americans With Disabilities Act