Pain neuroscience education in patients with chronic spinal pain may improve kinesiophobia and the perceived negative consequences and cyclicity of illness.
Improving the ability to communicate about pain may help reduce the negative effects associated with ambivalence over emotional expression on pain catastrophizing in patients with osteoarthritis pain.
Pain catastrophizing may be associated with reduced psychological — and to a lesser extent physical —function in patients with neuropathic pain and spinal pain.
A web-based cognitive behavior therapy program may be associated with greater reductions in aberrant drug-related behavior, pain interference, and pain catastrophizing in patients with chronic pain treated with opioids who undergo treatment as usual compared with patients who undergo treatment as usual only.
Caffeine is associated with lower pain catastrophizing, greater physical function, and lower pain interference in patients taking opioids to manage fibromyalgia pain.
Psychological factors such as catastrophizing of pain are common in migraine and, along with depression and anxiety, contribute significantly to migraine-related disability.
The Empower Veterans Program was created by the Atlanta Veterans Administration Medical Center to improve quality of life through active self-care in veterans with chronic pain.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Replacing Sleep, Sedentary Behavior With Physical Activity Beneficial in Knee Osteoarthritis
- FDA Outlines Plan for New Analgesic Guidance to Combat Opioid Crisis
- Rates of Concurrent Opioid, Sedative-Hypnotic Prescription Fills in Veterans
- Rheumatologist-Assessed vs Criteria for Inflammatory Back Pain in Psoriatic Arthritis
- Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Ketamine: Mechanisms of Action, Uses in Pain Medicine, and Side Effects
- Medicinal Cannabis May Not Have Opioid-Sparing Effects in Chronic Noncancer Pain
- Cannabis May Be Effective for Migraine Treatment
- Chronic Neck Pain: Generators, Clinical Examination, MRI Findings, and Differential Diagnosis
- Should Drug Testing Be Implemented Before Prescribing Opioids and Benzodiazepines?
- Dexmedetomidine May Prolong Analgesia Duration in Nerve Blocks
- Reviewing the Efficacy of Intrathecal Morphine, Ziconotide for Cancer- and Noncancer Chronic Pain
- Cochrane Data Release and the Case for "Open Science"
- Pretreatment With Sumatriptan Can Reduce Cilostazol-Induced Headaches
- Effects of Pain, Depression, and Insomnia on Health Care Use in Older Adults With Osteoarthritis