Researchers used vital statistics data to examine whether increases in mortality rates and years of potential life lost among midlife non-Hispanic whites from 1999 to 2015 are associated with increases in fatal overdoses.
Researchers estimated how a range of patterns of potential opioid misuse relate to adverse outcomes during the next year.
Opioid-specific health seminars may help PA students learn lifesaving treatments to perform in the future.
Evidence allowing us to assess the benefits of and risks associated with prescription drug monitoring programs is insufficient.
The researchers note that patients with chronic pain and those with mood disorders are more likely to receive opioid prescriptions and are also at greater risk for suicide.
Opioids were the leading contributor to drug overdose deaths between 2015 and 2016.
Clinical decision-making for patients admitted to the emergency department for acute drug overdose may be facilitated by measuring initial lactate concentration.
Transplantation of organs from overdose-death donors is associated with similar five-year patient survival and graft survival as organs from trauma-death donors and medical-death donors.
Katie Burk, MPH, presented measures undertaken by the city of San Francisco to provide integrated responses to the concurrent HIV/HCV and opioid public health epidemics.
From 2015 to 2016, there were increases in deaths across all drug categories examined, with 63,632 drug overdose deaths in 2016.
In a statement released today, Surgeon General, Jerome M. Adams, MD, MPH, said, "It is time to make sure more people have access to this lifesaving medication, because 77 percent of opioid overdose deaths occur outside of a medical setting and more than half occur at home."
Medical marijuana laws that include a "liberal" allowance of the drug to dispensaries may contribute to reducing opioid overdose-related deaths in Medicare Part-D and Medicaid beneficiaries.
Individuals born between 1947 and 1964 have a significantly increased risk for prescription opioid overdose death and heroin overdose death, and those born from 1979 to 1992 also have an increased risk of heroin overdose death.
In an effort to halt the ongoing opioid addiction crisis, US regulators are requiring manufacturers to provide extensive training to doctors.
Both gabapentin and opioids are commonly prescribed for the treatment of pain, making the likelihood of these two agents being prescribed together high.
At PAINWeek 2017, the president of the National Association of Drug Diversion Investigators discussed ways to balance pain management needs and overdose prevention measures.
Jennifer Bolen, JD, provides PAINWeek 2017 attendees with information on risk reduction and response to medication overdose events.
Concurrent benzodiazepine and opioid use increased by 80% between 2001 and 2013 in the United States and significantly contributes to the overall population risk of opioid overdose.
Out of 500 participants who initiated heroin use during the study period, more than 75% reported previous or current non-medical use of prescription opioid medications.
Deaths from overdoses of illicitly manufactured fentanyl have increased significantly in recent years.
Combination of a motivational interviewing and enhanced brochures successful in reducing behaviors associated with opioid overdose.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Two Screening Tools May Accurately Predict Transition From Acute to Chronic Low Back Pain
- Tools to Address the Opioid Crisis
- Methamphetamine Use on the Rise in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Operant Learning May Provide More Benefits Than Energy Conservation in Fibromyalgia
- Examining the Efficacy of Different Oxygen Flow Rates for Cluster Headache Attacks
- The Unintended Consequences of the CDC Opioid Guideline According to Pain Management Specialists
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- FDA-Approved Test Provides Pharmacogenetic Reports Directly to Consumers
- Set of Interventions May Effectively Reduce Opioid Overprescribing
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- FDA Panel Votes in Favor of Abuse-Deterrent Oxycodone Reformulation
- FDA Proposes New Restrictions on Sale of Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems
- Central Sensitization in Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome
- Pain Acceptance May Reduce Headache-Related Disability in Migraine
- FDA Issues Safety Alert Regarding Intrathecal Delivery of Pain Meds