In adults age 50 or older, higher education, illicit drug use, depression, and pain interference with normal work are significantly associated with opioid misuse.
According to the authors, this report represents the first case of recurrent fallacious lactatemia secondary to EG poisoning in the setting of drug-seeking behavior.
In addition to their analgesic effects, opioid binding to opioid receptors leads to the release of histamine from mast cells, including those implicated in asthma and allergic rhinitis.
Medical marijuana laws that include a "liberal" allowance of the drug to dispensaries may contribute to reducing opioid overdose-related deaths in Medicare Part-D and Medicaid beneficiaries.
Clinical best practice recommendations for the use of buprenorphine in the perioperative management of patients undergoing interventional pain procedures and other surgeries were recently published.
Extended-release naltrexone and sublingual buprenorphine-naloxone were equally effective for preventing opioid abuse relapse.
The FDA has tentatively approved an update to the Arymo ER extended-release tablets labeling to include data from an intranasal abuse-deterrent claim.
An investigational vaccine may represent an effective treatment strategy for oxycodone abuse and may help reduce oxycodone overdose severity.
While opioid abuse among young adults had decreased, abuse rates in adults 50 years and older has doubled, from 1.1 to 2.0%.
The FDA has requested the removal of reformulated Opana ER (oxymorphone HCl; Endo) from the market.
Dr Fudin discusses concerns he has regarding the CDC guideline for prescribing opioids for chronic pain.
An 8-day detoxification process using low-dose oral naltrexone showed superior efficacy to the standard 15-day approach that uses an agonist taper leading to induction with extended-release naltrexone
Over a decade, there was a nearly 5-fold increase in the number of infants born each year to American women who used opioids during the pregnancy.
Short-term memory loss may be yet another price of America's opioid addiction epidemic.
The initiatives include guidelines and recommendations for CRNAs, physicians, and policymakers.
A high level of comorbidity exists between substance use disorders and chronic pain.
The risk of long-term opioid use can be reduced by prescribing a short-acting painkiller with no refills.
Vast majority of patients use the meds short term to ease their pain
There is a lot of opportunity to improve on what can be offered to patients.
Mu-Opioid Analgesic in Phase III Offers Hope for the Management of Chronic Pain Without Addictive Side EffectsJuly 22, 2016
Slowing entry through the blood-brain barrier
Implementation of the Narcotic Safety Initiative has been successful in California one year after its launching.
Do government efforts to curb opioid use play a role in the observed reduction of drug use?
These compounds, through selective µ-opioid receptor activation, could provide a safer alternative to opioids in treating three major types of pain.
The ASA has announced the creation of its Ad Hoc Committee on Prescription Opioid Abuse to help address the country's growing epidemic.
The FDA has announced the steps it plans to take in order to expand the use of abuse-deterrent opioids.
Military Medical School Addresses Opioid Epidemic by Incorporating Joint Pain Education Into CurriculumMarch 30, 2016
The F. Edward Hebert School of Medicine at the USU this week announced the addition of a new pain management program that incorporates joint pain education into its curriculum
President Barack Obama will announce new public and private initiatives directed at curbing opioid abuse across the country.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Analyzing Coverage of Nonpharmacologic Treatments for Low Back Pain
- Two Screening Tools May Accurately Predict Transition From Acute to Chronic Low Back Pain
- Operant Learning May Provide More Benefits Than Energy Conservation in Fibromyalgia
- Predicting the Magnitude of Placebo Analgesia in Chronic Pain
- Dsuvia Gains FDA Approval: We Want to Hear Your Thoughts
- The Unintended Consequences of the CDC Opioid Guideline According to Pain Management Specialists
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- FDA-Approved Test Provides Pharmacogenetic Reports Directly to Consumers
- Set of Interventions May Effectively Reduce Opioid Overprescribing
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- Half of the Responders to Our Poll Agree With the Approval of Dsuvia: We Want to Hear From You
- Daily Alcohol Use May Drive Chronic Pain in Adults With HIV
- Tools to Address the Opioid Crisis
- AHA/ACC Release Updated Guidelines for Cholesterol Management
- Women Fed Soy Formula as Infants More Likely to Experience Menstrual Pain