In patients with rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis who are at higher risk for cardiovascular events, celecoxib may be safer compared with naproxen or ibuprofen when these drugs are taken alone or in combination with aspirin.
Corticosteroids appear to be a reasonable alternative to NSAIDs for the treatment of acute pain as a result of gout.
Although a majority of women with rheumatoid arthritis were previously though to achieve remission during pregnancy, recent studies indicate remission occurs in only 20% to 40% of cases.
Acetaminophen and ibuprofen are frequently under-dosed in children in the emergency department.
Meta-analysis indicates short-term NSAID use is generally safe and can relieve pain, but lacks clinically important benefits.
Limited data suggest antidepressants, topical capsaicin, and fat grafting may reduce pain associated with post-mastectomy pain syndrome, but more and better studies are needed to determine optimal management for this debilitating condition.
NSAIDs do not help most patients with back pain, according to a review published in the Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases.
No indication any particular type of antidepressant carries a greater risk than others.
Co-use of thienopyridine and prior use of rebamipide also up risk.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Supervised Injection Sites: Facts, Information, Pros, and Cons
- Chronic Pain May Be a Contributing Factor to Suicide
- Striking a Balance Between Opioid Surveillance and Patient Privacy
- Demographic Characteristics of Pregnant Women With Opioid Use Disorder
- Effects of Mindfulness Therapy, Pharmacologic Prophylaxis on Catecholamine Levels in Migraine
- Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- Seven-Item Pain Intensity Measure Reliable in Individuals With Dementia
- Reviewing the Efficacy of Invasive Procedures for Chronic Back, Knee Pain
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Lower Weighting of Hand Cortical Representations in CRPS
- Predicting Success of Focal Nerve Surgery Based on Diagnostic Block Response
- Aetna-CVS Merger Approved
- FDA Announces Draft Guidance for Consumer OTC Access to Previously Prescription Drugs
- Maryland Legislature: Will Federal Courts Permit State Regulation of Drug Prices?