Generic Name and Formulations:
Romiplostim (recombinant) 250mcg, 500mcg; per vial; lyophilized pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; contains sucrose and mannitol; preservative-free.
Indications for NPLATE:
Treatment of thrombocytopenia in patients with chronic immune thrombocytopenia (ITP) who have had an insufficient response to corticosteroids, immunoglobulins, or splenectomy.
Give by SC inj. To reduce risk of bleeding: use lowest effective dose to achieve and maintain platelets ≥50x109/L. ≥18yrs: initially: 1mcg/kg weekly; may increase by 1mcg/kg if platelets <50x109/L; max: 10mcg/kg weekly. May reduce by 1mcg/kg if platelets >200x109/L for 2 consecutive weeks. Do not dose if platelets >400x109/L; resume Nplate at a dose reduced by 1mcg/kg when platelets fall to <200x109/L. Discontinue if platelets have not increased after 4 weeks at max dose.
<18yrs: not established.
Not for normalization of platelet counts or to treat thrombocytopenia due to MDS or any cause of thrombocytopenia other than chronic ITP. Risk of progression from MDS to acute myelogenous leukemia. Worsened thrombocytopenia and bleeding risk may develop after discontinuation. Monitor CBCs with platelets weekly during dose adjustments then monthly after achieving stable dose; and weekly for at least 2wks after discontinuation of therapy. Monitor after initial response for formation of neutralizing antibodies. Renal or hepatic impairment: not studied. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Thrombopoietin receptor agonist.
May increase bleeding risk with anticoagulants or antiplatelet agents.
Arthralgia, dizziness, insomnia, myalgia, pain in extremity, abdominal pain, shoulder pain, dyspepsia, paresthesia, headaches; bone marrow reticulin formation, thrombotic/thromboembolic complications (eg, portal vein thrombosis in chronic liver disease).
To enroll pregnant patients in Amgen's Pregnancy Surveillance program, call (800) 772-6436.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- History of Migraine May Be Associated With Higher Risk for Cochlear Disorders
- Radiofrequency Denervation Efficacious in Treating Thoracic Zygapophyseal Joint Pain
- Symptom Severity, Sensory Sensitivity May Indicate Pain Centralization in Chronic Overlapping Pain Conditions
- Prescribed Opioids Difficulties Scale Effective for Assessing Concerns of Patients With Chronic Pain
- Predictors of Opioid Overdose in High-Risk Users
- Consensus Guidelines for the Use of Intravenous Ketamine for Chronic Pain
- Pain Societies Issue Guidelines on Use of Ketamine for the Management of Acute Pain
- Labor Epidural Analgesia Linked to Reduced Likelihood of Successful Breastfeeding
- Novel Oral Treatment Safe, Effective for Migraine Headache Relief
- DFN-02 Nasal Spray Safe, Effective for Acute Treatment of Episodic Migraine
- Methadone Improves Short-Term Outcomes Better Than Morphine in Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Hospital-Owned Practices Associated With Positive Workplace Perceptions Among Staff
- Optimal Strategies for Opioid Weaning After Ambulatory Surgery
- Chinese Traditional Medicine Showed Effectiveness on Pain, Quality of Life in Advanced Cancer