Generic Name and Formulations:
Nitroglycerin 0.3mg, 0.4mg, 0.6mg; sublingual tabs.
Indications for NITROSTAT:
Acute relief of angina attack. Acute prophylaxis of angina pectoris.
Use lowest effective dose. Treatment: 1 tab sublingually or in buccal pouch at onset, may repeat in 5mins; max 3 tabs in 15mins. Prophylaxis: 5–10mins before activity.
Severe anemia. Increased intracranial pressure (eg, cerebral hemorrhage, traumatic brain injury). Acute circulatory failure or shock. Concomitant PDE-5 inhibitors (eg, avanafil, sildenafil, tadalafil, vardenafil), soluble guanylate cyclase stimulators (eg, riociguat).
Constrictive pericarditis, aortic or mitral stenosis, volume-depleted, hypotensive: increased risk of severe hypotension. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Elderly. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not studied.
See Contraindications. Hypotension potentiated by PDE-5 inhibitors, riociguat. Avoid ergotamine and related drugs.
Headache, dizziness, paresthesia, vertigo, weakness, palpitation, postural hypotension, syncope, flushing, rash, exfoliative dermatitis.
Tabs 0.4mg—4 x 25, 100; 0.3mg, 0.6mg—100
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Abuse-Deterrent Opioid Formulations: Barriers to Broader Use
- Notifications by PDMPs May Not Effectively Reduce Opioid Misuse
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Electroacupuncture May Help Reduce Opioid Use in Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain
- Medical Cannabis Legalization Associated With Reduced Schedule III Opioid Prescriptions
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- Predicting Pain Chronicization After Spine Surgery
- Chronic Low Back Pain Levels Vary Between Sex and Race
- FDA Approval of Medication With a Digital Monitoring System: Major Breakthrough or "Brave New World"?
- Errors in Clinical Notes Generated by Speech Recognition Are Not Uncommon
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?