Nimodipine Capsules Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Nimodipine 30mg; soft-gel caps.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Nimodipine Capsules:
To improve neurological outcome of subarachnoid hemorrhage from ruptured intracranial berry aneurysms, regardless of post-ictus neurological condition.
Take on empty stomach. 60mg every 4 hours for 21 consecutive days. Start within 96 hours of subarachnoid hemorrhage. If oral therapy is not feasible, may extract capsule contents into a syringe and give via in situ NG tube, then flush tube with normal saline. Hepatic impairment: 30mg every 4 hours; monitor.
Not for IV or other parenteral administration (may be fatal). Hepatic impairment. Monitor BP, heart rate. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB).
May potentiate other calcium channel blockers. Potentiated by cimetidine.
Decreased blood pressure, GI upset, headache, bradycardia, flushing, edema, rash; rare: intestinal pseudo-obstruction and ileus.
Formerly known under the brand name Nimotop.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis