Clinicians should consider conducting a filament test, nerve conduction studies, and quantitative sensory testing to confirm a diagnosis.
Treatment options for a patient with the condition should revolve around the following: slowing progression, relieving pain and restoring function.
Dr. Strand’s take-home message about diabetic peripheral neuropathy is to stress the need to understand and recognize the early signs of the condition, to communicate to patients that there are many modifiable risk factors, and to maintain glycemic control.
- Benzon HT, Rathmell JP, Wu CL, Turk DC, Argoff CE. Raj’s Practical Management of Pain. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Mosby:2008.
- Cephalalgia. Headache Classification of the International Headache Society. http://ihs-classification.org/en/_suche/?view=search_result&query_string=cephalalgia&x=0&y=0. Accessed September 11, 2015.
- Encyclopaedia Britannica Inc. Hans Selye. http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/533770/Hans-Selye. Accessed September 11, 2015.
- Finger S, Hustwit MP. Five early accounts of phantom limb in context: Pare, Descartes, Bell, Lemos, and Mitchell. Neurosurgery. 2003;52;675-686.
- Flor H. New developments in the understanding and management of persistent pain. Available at: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/758463. Accessed September 11, 2015.
- Health Communities. Chronic stress and disease. http://www.healthcommunities.com/stress/chronic-stress-disease.shtml. Accessed September 11, 2015.
- Hocking G. Ketamine in chronic pain management. Anesth Analg. 2003;97:1730-1739.
- Martyn C, Hughes R. Epidemiology of peripheral neuropathy. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1997;62:310.
- Ranabir S, Reetu K. Stress and hormones. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2011;15(1):18-22.
- Study finds link between stress and physical pain. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/04/03/pain-stress-link-found_n_1398767.html. March 4, 2012. Accessed September 11, 2015.
- University of Maryland Medical Center. Stress. umm.edu/health/medical/reports/articles/stress. Accessed September 11, 2015.
This article originally appeared on MPR