Generic Name and Formulations:
Methazolamide 25mg, 50mg; tabs.
Indications for NEPTAZANE:
Ocular conditions where lowering intraocular pressure would be of therapeutic benefit (eg, chronic open-angle glaucoma, secondary glaucoma, pre-op in acute angle-closure glaucoma).
50–100mg 2–3 times daily.
Hypokalemia. Hyponatremia. Severe renal, hepatic, or adrenocortical impairment. Hyperchloremic acidosis. Cirrhosis. Long-term use in angle-closure glaucoma.
Sulfonamide allergy. Respiratory impairment (eg, pulmonary obstruction or emphysema). Do baseline CBC and platelet counts before starting and during therapy. Monitor serum electrolytes periodically. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Carbonic anhydrase inhibitor.
May inhibit renal excretion of basic drugs and promote excretion of acidic drugs. Caution with high-dose aspirin; may increase salicylate toxicity. Caution with corticosteroids; may develop hypokalemia.
Paresthesias, tinnitus, fatigue, malaise, anorexia, GI upset, dysguesia, drowsiness, confusion, metabolic acidosis, electrolyte imbalance, transient myopia; hepatic insufficiency, blood dyscrasias, anaphylaxis, urticaria, melena, hematuria, glycosuria, flaccid paralysis, photosensitivity, convulsions; rare: crystalluria, renal calculi.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis