Generic Name and Formulations:
Pentobarbital sodium 50mg/mL; soln for IM or IV inj; contains alcohol.
Indications for NEMBUTAL:
Short-term (≤ 2 weeks) treatment of insomnia when oral route is not feasible.
IM: 150mg–200mg (max 5mL/inj) as a single deep IM inj. IV: Inject slowly (max 50mg/min). ≥70kg: initially 100mg; observe and monitor vital signs at least 1 minute, then may increase as needed in small increments to usual max 500mg. Elderly, debilitated, renal or hepatic impairment: reduce dose.
IM: 2–6mg/kg as a single deep IM inj; max 100mg. IV: inject slowly; reduce adult dose proportionally (see literature).
Prehepatic coma: not recommended. Avoid abrupt cessation. Acute or chronic pain. Depression. Suicidal tendencies. Drug abuser. Hepatic or renal impairment. Monitor BP, respiration, cardiac function. Avoid extravasation. Write ℞ for smallest practical amount. Elderly. Debilitated. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by MAOIs, valproic acid, sodium valproate (monitor). CNS depression potentiated with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Antagonizes anticoagulants, corticosteroids, other steroid hormones (eg, oral contraceptives), doxycycline. May interfere with griseofulvin absorption. Variable effects with phenytoin (monitor).
Somnolence, respiratory depression, CNS effects, bradycardia, hypotension, syncope, GI upset, headache, inj site reactions, paradoxical excitement.
Multi-dose vials (20mL, 50mL)—1
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Manual Therapy vs Opioids for Management of Shoulder, Spine Pain
- Opioids: Clinician Concern and Prescribing Practices
- Screening for Hyperglycemia Prior to Steroid Injections for Chronic Pain
- Ensuring Safety During Long-Term Opioid Therapy
- Intervention by Pharmacists May Effectively Reduce Use of Inappropriate Medications in the Elderly
- Serum Vitamin D Levels and Risk for Migraine
- Rimegepant Orally Dissolving Formulation Provides Rapid Relief From Acute Migraine
- Updated Evidence-Based Recommendations for Buprenorphine Treatment
- Business Degree Increasingly Useful for Doctors
- PainDETECT May Not Be Optimal to Detect Neuropathic Components of Orofacial Pain
- Kinesiophobia May Be Associated With Greater Cutaneous Allodynia in Migraine
- CDC: 8.8% of Individuals in the United States Uninsured in First Half of 2018
- Patient Experiences Shed Light on Diagnostic Errors
- Topical Migraine Trigger Point Treatment as Effective as Injection
- Wikipedia in Medical Education: An Educator's Guide to Crowdsourcing