Patients with neck pain who initially consult with a nonpharmacologic provider may have reduced exposure to opioids in the following year and fewer injections and advanced imaging.
Spending hours on end updating electronic health records can be a literal pain in the neck. This article offers 7 tips to prevent tech neck.
Measures of pain sensitivity may not be associated with long-term pain and disability outcomes in patients with chronic neck pain.
Superficial cervical plexus block may be safe and effective for use in emergency medicine.
Neck pain is a symptom of migraine only, not the result of an underlying muscle dysfunction that triggers migraine attacks.
The effect of aerobic exercise in reducing migraine-associated burden in individuals with comorbid tension-type headache and neck pain may not be mediated by an effect on nociceptive pathways.
Individuals with chronic vs episodic migraine may be more likely to experience chronic back pain, chronic pain, neck pain, anxiety, and depression.
Patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) may be more likely to experience chronic neck pain, lower back pain and migraine than individuals without COPD.
A 39-year-old woman presents with a 2-year history of facial pain, headaches, and neck pain.
Low-dose of amitriptyline may be safe, tolerable and effective for reducing neck pain, disability, and sleep disturbances in patients with idiopathic or non-traumatic chronic neck pain.
Women who were treated as adolescents with a restrictive Milwaukee brace during adolescence may be at higher risk for experiencing low back pain and neck-related disabilities in adulthood.
Mental disorders are positively associated with subsequent self-reported chronic back and/or neck pain, with a clear dose-response relationship between the number of mental disorders and subsequent pain.
A man with a history of hypertension and migraines complains of a headache he has had for approximately 3 days alongside neck stiffness and a fever.
A 44-year-old man presents to his local urgent care clinic for chest pain radiating up into his neck. He states that the pain started 5 hours ago and is gradually getting worse.
Meta-analysis indicates short-term NSAID use is generally safe and can relieve pain, but lacks clinically important benefits.
Results showed a significant link between serum vitamin C concentrations and the prevalence of low back pain.
The prevalence of neck pain has been reported to be increasing among adolescents, but how this pain might affect head posture and endurance of the neck muscles in this age group has received little attention.
Prevalence of cervical degenerative disc disease tended to be 1.38 times higher in women (4.5%) than in men (3.3%).
Routine screening for psychosocial, physical, and neurophysiologic factors may be indicated.
Acupuncture, 'Alexander Technique' helped more than drugs and physical therapy.
Lidocaine-injection therapy in the intramuscular innervation zone effectively treats neck pain caused by myofascial trigger points.
Improving diagnostic skills can assist clinicians in formulating a differential diagnosis for back and neck pain.
Improvements in pain and dysfunction at 12 weeks for those receiving additional massages.
Certain stressors are more likely to increase the risk of pain.
The FDA has approved an expansion of the Botox (onabotulinumtoxinA; Actavis) label for the treatment of adults with upper limb spasticity.
Research shows that magnets placed on the skin relaxes capillary walls.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Supervised Injection Sites: Facts, Information, Pros, and Cons
- Chronic Pain May Be a Contributing Factor to Suicide
- Striking a Balance Between Opioid Surveillance and Patient Privacy
- Demographic Characteristics of Pregnant Women With Opioid Use Disorder
- Effects of Mindfulness Therapy, Pharmacologic Prophylaxis on Catecholamine Levels in Migraine
- Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Reviewing the Efficacy of Intrathecal Morphine, Ziconotide for Cancer- and Noncancer Chronic Pain
- Seven-Item Pain Intensity Measure Reliable in Individuals With Dementia
- Factors Associated With Suboptimal Interscalene Brachial Plexus Block for Arthroscopy
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- Scholarship Support Limited for Veterans Enrolling in MD Programs
- Alpha and Beta Band Activity in MS-Related Chronic Pain
- New Opioid-Induced Constipation Management Guidelines Available