Generic Name and Formulations:
Memantine HCl 5mg, 10mg; tabs.
Indications for NAMENDA:
Moderate-to-severe dementia of the Alzheimer's type.
Initially 5mg once daily; titrate at intervals of at least 1 week to 5mg twice daily, then to 5mg and 10mg as separate doses, then to 10mg twice daily (prescribe Titration Pak for 1st 4 weeks). Severe renal impairment (CrCl 5–29mL/min): titrate to max 5mg twice daily.
Severe hepatic impairment. Alkalinized urine (eg, renal tubular acidosis, severe UTI) increases memantine serum levels. Seizure disorder. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
NMDA receptor antagonist.
Caution with other NMDA antagonists (eg, amantadine, ketamine, dextromethorphan). May affect or be affected by renally-excreted drugs (eg, triamterene, HCTZ, metformin, cimetidine, nicotine, ranitidine, quinidine). Plasma levels may be increased by urinary alkalinizers.
Headache, dizziness, confusion, diarrhea, constipation, hypertension, pain, somnolence, hallucination, urinary disorders, dyspnea.
Tabs (YES); Oral soln, XR caps (NO)
Tabs—60; Titration Pak (28 x 5mg + 21 x 10mg)—1; Oral soln—360mL; XR caps 7mg, 21mg—30; 14mg, 28mg—30, 90; XR Titration Pak (7 x 7mg + 7 x 14mg + 7 x 21mg + 7 x 28mg)—1
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis