As the rates of opioid overdose deaths are increasing rapidly, the Surgeon General is recommending that more individuals, including family, friends, and those who are personally at risk for an opioid overdose.
Two lots of naloxone hydrochloride injections, USP have been recalled by Hospira, Inc., due to concerns regarding the presence of particulates on the syringe plunger.
Unit-dose packaging of buprenorphine-naloxone was associated with a reduced number of unintentional exposures of young children presenting to poison centers.
Opioid-specific health seminars may help PA students learn lifesaving treatments to perform in the future.
Katie Burk, MPH, presented measures undertaken by the city of San Francisco to provide integrated responses to the concurrent HIV/HCV and opioid public health epidemics.
In a statement released today, Surgeon General, Jerome M. Adams, MD, MPH, said, "It is time to make sure more people have access to this lifesaving medication, because 77 percent of opioid overdose deaths occur outside of a medical setting and more than half occur at home."
A new guideline recommends opioid agonist therapy with buprenorphine-naloxone as first-line for the treatment of opioid use disorder.
Intranasal naloxone may have comparable efficacy and tolerability to intramuscular naloxone.
Narcan Nasal Spray, an opioid antagonist, is indicated for the reversal of known or suspected opioid overdose, including respiratory and/or central nervous system depression.
Obama Administration Senior Policy Advisor and Addiction Expert on White House Initiative to Address the Opioid CrisisNovember 07, 2017
On October 30, 2017, the Clinton Foundation's Health Matters Initiative held a panel event at the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health for the release of a report co-written by these 2 organizations, titled "The Opioid Epidemic - From Evidence to Impact."
Intraoperative low-dose naloxone reduced postoperative hyperalgesia but had no effect on pain when combined with high-dose remifentanil for elective thyroid surgery.
The use of oxycodone/naloxone prolonged-release tablets (OXN PR) can provide significant relief for patients who suffer from moderate to severe chronic pain and opioid-induced constipation.
Significantly less heroin cravings were reported in the extended-release naltrexone group and treatment satisfaction was also reported higher in this group compared to the buprenorphine-naloxone group.
Co-prescribing naloxone with opioids may reduce opioid overdoses while playing a pivotal role in combating the nation's opioid addiction epidemic.
The increased use of opioid prescriptions to treat chronic pain has resulted in the rise of opioid use disorder, addiction, and abuse. We offer an overview of how and when to prescribe opioids for the management of chronic pain.
The American Medical Association is calling for more transparency in drug pricing amid rising costs that are putting some lifesaving medications out of reach for patients and communities.
Policies have helped make naloxone more available, thus contributing to the reduction of opioid-related deaths in the U.S.
Substance Use Disorder is a chronic medical condition, and should be treated like one.
Pennsylvania has adopted a multipronged approach to address the opioid crisis.
Buprenorphine/naloxone treatment initiated in the emergency department and prolonged for 10 weeks in primary care improved treatment engagement and reduced opioid use compared with referral or brief intervention.
The benefit-risk profile of oxycodone/naloxone was found to be noninferior compared to tapentadol, and oxycodone/naloxone demonstrated superior analgesic efficacy.
Should the government do more to ensure that naloxone is affordable?
The Clinton Health Matters Initiative, a branch of the Clinton Foundation, in partnership with Adapt Pharma, recently announced the distribution of 10 000 doses of Narcan nasal spray.
No application is currently available to connect carriers of naloxone with nearby opioid overdose victims.
Clinicians, you can join the movement at http://turnthetiderx.org/join/
Finding supports naloxone prescriptions for patients taking opioids for chronic pain
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Supervised Injection Sites: Facts, Information, Pros, and Cons
- Chronic Pain May Be a Contributing Factor to Suicide
- Striking a Balance Between Opioid Surveillance and Patient Privacy
- Demographic Characteristics of Pregnant Women With Opioid Use Disorder
- Effects of Mindfulness Therapy, Pharmacologic Prophylaxis on Catecholamine Levels in Migraine
- Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Use Disorder
- Cannabinoid-Associated Analgesia May Be Mediated Through Modulation of Affective Processes
- Antidepressant Effects of Ketamine Appear to Require Opioid System Activation
- Reviewing the Efficacy of Intrathecal Morphine, Ziconotide for Cancer- and Noncancer Chronic Pain
- Seven-Item Pain Intensity Measure Reliable in Individuals With Dementia
- Factors Associated With Suboptimal Interscalene Brachial Plexus Block for Arthroscopy
- Initial Consultation for Neck Pain May Reduce Opioid Consumption, Healthcare Utilization
- Scholarship Support Limited for Veterans Enrolling in MD Programs
- Alpha and Beta Band Activity in MS-Related Chronic Pain
- New Opioid-Induced Constipation Management Guidelines Available