European Medicines Agency Accepts MAA for Gout Drug
the Clinical Pain Advisor take:
The European Medicines Agency has accepted the Marketing Authorization Application (MAA) for lesinurad 200 mg tablets.
According to a press release from AstraZeneca, lesinurad is a selective uric acid reabsorption inhibitor (SURI) developed for the chronic treatment of hyperuricaemia in combination with xanthine oxidase (XO) inhibitors allopurinol or febuxostat in gout patients when additional therapy is warranted.
The MAA filing was based on data from three clinical trisl - the CLEAR1, CLEAR2 and CRYSTAL Phase 3 studies. CLEAR1 and CLEAR2 were 12-month, randomized placebo-controlled studies that evaluated the efficacy and safety of a once daily dose of lesinurad in combination with allopurinol versus allopurinol alone, in symptomatic gout patients not achieving target serum uric acid (sUA) levels on their current allopurinol therapy.
CRYSTAL was a year-long randomized, placebo-controlled study that evaluated the efficacy and safety of a once daily dose of lesinurad in combination with febuxostat compared to febuxostat alone in gout patients with tophi.
The combined therapies of lesinurad and an XO inhibitor provides a dual mechanism approach targeting both excretion and production of uric acid, according to the study results, which were published by Ardea Biosciences, a member of the AstraZeneca Group.
Gout is a painful form of inflammatory arthritis.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Deaths After Nonfatal Opioid Overdose: Causes and Risk Factors
- Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Associated With Reduced Risk for Opioid-Related Deaths
- Opioid-Free Analgesia Use for Postsurgical Pain Limited
- Clonidine May Not Improve Post-Cesarean Delivery Analgesia
- No Added Value With Liposomal Bupivacaine Following TKA With Peripheral Nerve Block
- Recommendations for Perioperative Pain Management in Patients With Opioid Tolerance
- Vertebroplasty Comparable With Placebo for Acute Vertebral Compression Fractures
- Capsaicin 8% Patch May Be Effective in Neuropathic Pain
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Prior Authorization Policy May Help Reduce Long-Acting Opioid Use
- Opioid-Related Deaths Represent Significant Public Health Burden
- Addressing Confidentiality Concerns With Electronic Access to Pediatric Medical Records
- Opioid-Related Adverse Events Common After Invasive Procedures
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Migraine in Children Should Consider Atopy
- Led by AG Sessions, DOJ Declines to Defend ACA Against Federal Lawsuit