The researchers found that the median prescription size was 350 mg oral morphine equivalents and median patient use was 225 mg oral morphine equivalents following open hiatal hernia repair.
The 7 opioids included for analysis were oxycodone, hydrocodone, morphine, hydromorphone, oxymorphone, tapentadol, and tramadol.
Suppression of the function of an intracellular modulator of the μ-opioid receptor was found to enhance the analgesic activity of agonists for those receptors, delay the tolerance to morphine and reduce its rewarding effects
Slow-Release Oral Morphine, a Promising Opioid Agonist Therapy Alternative to Buprenorphine, MethadoneJanuary 11, 2018
Slow-release oral morphine may be a valuable tool to help reduce the number of deaths from opioid-related overdose.
Acute pain management in the emergency department with low-dose ketamine may provide pain relief comparable with morphine at 30 minutes.
Continuous infusions of midazolam plus morphine do not provide additional pain relief compared with intermittent dosing of those drugs, and may increase hospital length of stay among pediatric patients who have undergone cardiac surgery.
Among children who have undergone minor outpatient orthopedic surgery, ibuprofen provides equivalent postoperative pain relief compared with oral morphine.
Administration of abuse-deterrent formulations of immediate-release oxycodone and extended-release morphine leads to slower and lower absorption rates in nondependent recreational drug users compared with standard oxycodone and morphine formulations.
For patients with chronic fatigue syndrome/fibromyalgia or rheumatoid arthritis, morphine has anti-hyperalgesic effects comparable with placebo.
In patients with severe chronic pain refractory to conventional therapy, intrathecal ziconotide provided long-term pain relief, particularly when used as first-line intrathecal therapy.
In infants with neonatal abstinence syndrome, sublingual buprenorphine reduced the duration of treatment and decreased the length of hospital stay.
The low dose of the microdose method reduces the formation of catheter tip granuloma.
Perioperative lidocaine does not reduce morphine use in the first 24 hours after posterior arthrodesis and offers no measurable benefits.
Chronic pain patients being treated with certain opioid and non-opioid medications had significantly lower serum concentrations of free testosterone and free estradiol.
Fentanyl sublingual tablets are preferred over subcutaneous morphine in patients with severe breakthrough cancer pain.
Polymorphism at the level of drug receptors, transporters, or other proteins involved in drug metabolism or action may have an impact on the effect of a drug.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Opioid Use in Chronic Low Back Pain: A Population Study
- Risks Associated With Co-Administration of Aspirin and Other NSAIDs
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Stages of Low Back Pain Have Specific Sets of Clinical Indicators
- First Non-Opioid Drug Approved for Managing Opioid Withdrawal Symptoms
- Effect of Prescription Drug Monitoring Programs on Fatal, Nonfatal Drug Overdoses
- Standardized SCS Workflow May Effectively Alleviate Failed Back Surgery Syndrome-Related Pain
- Marijuana Legalization and Opioid Prescribing Rates
- Medical Marijuana Users More Likely to Use Prescription Drugs for Medical, Nonmedical Purposes
- Interbrain Coupling During Handholding Associated With Analgesia, Empathy
- Opioid-Related Adverse Drug Events Associated With Worse Patient, Cost Outcomes
- Education Plus Exercise, Single Corticosteroid Injection Effective in Long Term for Gluteal Tendinopathy
- Detox vs Medication-Assisted Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder in Pregnancy: Expert Roundtable
- Naloxone Training Beneficial for PA Students
- Supervised Injection Sites Hailed as the Latest Strategy to Fight the Opioid Crisis