Migraine & Headache
Poor sleep quality is prevalent among patients with probable migraine and is associated with an exacerbation of probable migraine symptoms.
The primary efficacy endpoint was the mean change from baseline in the monthly average number of headache days of at least moderate severity during the 3-month treatment period.
Galcanezumab treatment may result in functional improvements and a reduction in the impact of headaches on quality of life in patients with migraine.
The preictal phase may be characterized by a reduction in habituation in patients with migraine.
Local ischemia after an acute ischemic stroke may trigger a widely migrating cortical wave of spreading depolarization, which may present as migraine aura.
Adolescents who have asthma or allergic rhinitis may be at higher risk for developing migraine.
Men were not only less likely to consult a doctor for their migraines than women, they were also less likely to be diagnosed with migraine.
Data in children do support an association between pediatric obesity and headache disorders in general, but more research is needed to confirm the association specifically with pediatric migraine.
The role of calcitonin gene-related peptide may play a role in triggering cluster headache attacks in patients with episodic cluster headache in active phase.
Pediatric neurologist Lalitha Sivaswamy, MD, discusses challenges in diagnosing primary intracranial hypertension in pediatric patients.
Regional anesthetic suprazygomatic sphenopalatine ganglion block may quickly and effectively relieve status migrainosus.
Erenumab 70 mg or 140 mg once monthly may be effective for patients with chronic migraine who have failed prior preventive treatments.
Investigators analyzed readmission rates for acute ischemic stroke, TIA, subarachnoid hemorrhage, and intracerebral hemorrhage after an admission for migraine.
Greater depressive symptomatology and longer chronic headache duration may predict negative outcomes of detoxification treatment for medication-overuse headache.
Adult doses for migraine and headache treatments including barbiturates, ergot alkaloids, and NSAIDs.
Patients with cluster headaches present differently depending on whether they have ever been exposed to tobacco.
Guidelines for pharmacological prophylaxis of migraines chart
High levels of stress may be associated with poor acute treatment outcomes in patients with chronic migraine.
Results of a recent study found that the current costs of medical grade oxygen for use in the treatment of cluster headache are not "prohibitively expensive" for either healthcare insurance providers or for patients.
Lasmiditan may be effective in the acute treatment of headache pain and most bothersome related symptoms in patients experiencing migraine attacks.
Almost 10% of pediatric patients with migraine also experience various episodic syndromes. Physicians Amy Gelfand and Diana Lebron weigh in on what to look for to help you find the right diagnosis.
Telemedicine offers a convenient alternative for nonacute headache patients.
Intracranial atherosclerosis was lower in patients with migraine than in those without migraine.
Research on susceptibility to migraine with and without aura uncovered a genetic link.
These findings highlight an urgent need to produce more evidence on the risks and benefits of off-label antidepressant use.
While it requires further validation, copeptin may serve as a novel biomarker to help rule out serious secondary headache.
A significant decrease in migraine frequency was observed; however, it is not clear how large a role placebo effect plays in treatment response.
Patients with chronic migraine and comorbidities incur nearly 2 times the health care costs of patients with migraine alone.
Future research should investigate whether cogniphobia can be a modifiable factor in the treatment of patients with migraine.
Abstaining from caffeine was associated with excellent acute treatment efficacy.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Replacing Sleep, Sedentary Behavior With Physical Activity Beneficial in Knee Osteoarthritis
- The Role of Psychological Factors in Phantom Limb Pain Reviewed
- FDA Outlines Plan for New Analgesic Guidance to Combat Opioid Crisis
- Ozone vs Corticosteroids May Provide Longer-Lasting Effects for Plantar Fasciitis
- Opioid Use Stable in Past Decade Among Commercially Insured, Medicare Beneficiaries
- Ketamine: Mechanisms of Action, Uses in Pain Medicine, and Side Effects
- Cannabis May Be Effective for Migraine Treatment
- Medicinal Cannabis May Not Have Opioid-Sparing Effects in Chronic Noncancer Pain
- Integrating Psychological Interventions Into Chronic Pain Management
- Chronic Neck Pain: Generators, Clinical Examination, MRI Findings, and Differential Diagnosis
- Pregabalin May Not Improve Analgesia During Medical Abortion
- Investigational Treatment Shows Promise in Chronic Low Back Pain
- Rheumatologist-Assessed vs Criteria for Inflammatory Back Pain in Psoriatic Arthritis
- Incorporating Guidelines Into Clinical Practice: An Interview With Gary L. LeRoy, MD
- Pain Severity May Partly Mediate the Association Between Depression and Physical Performance in Knee OA