Migraine & Headache
Guidelines for pharmacological prophylaxis of migraines chart
High levels of stress may be associated with poor acute treatment outcomes in patients with chronic migraine.
Results of a recent study found that the current costs of medical grade oxygen for use in the treatment of cluster headache are not "prohibitively expensive" for either healthcare insurance providers or for patients.
Lasmiditan may be effective in the acute treatment of headache pain and most bothersome related symptoms in patients experiencing migraine attacks.
Almost 10% of pediatric patients with migraine also experience various episodic syndromes. Physicians Amy Gelfand and Diana Lebron weigh in on what to look for to help you find the right diagnosis.
Adult doses for migraine and headache treatments including barbiturates, ergot alkaloids, and NSAIDs.
Telemedicine offers a convenient alternative for nonacute headache patients.
Intracranial atherosclerosis was lower in patients with migraine than in those without migraine.
Research on susceptibility to migraine with and without aura uncovered a genetic link.
These findings highlight an urgent need to produce more evidence on the risks and benefits of off-label antidepressant use.
While it requires further validation, copeptin may serve as a novel biomarker to help rule out serious secondary headache.
A significant decrease in migraine frequency was observed; however, it is not clear how large a role placebo effect plays in treatment response.
Patients with chronic migraine and comorbidities incur nearly 2 times the health care costs of patients with migraine alone.
Future research should investigate whether cogniphobia can be a modifiable factor in the treatment of patients with migraine.
Abstaining from caffeine was associated with excellent acute treatment efficacy.
In states where marijuana is legalized for medicinal purposes, Medicare's prescription drug benefit program has lowered its spending due to reduced prescription drug use.
Data suggest that photic-squint or photophobia could be potential biomarkers for migraine pain, amenable to treatment with CGRP-based therapeutics.
Huma U. Sheikh, MD, provides highlights of recent clinical research in migraines and headaches.
Clinicians should focus on minimizing barriers to care for patients with chronic migraine.
Although most primary headaches can be managed by PCPs, some headaches warrant referral to a specialist.
Researchers identify increased prevalence of migraine headache in patients with cardiac syndrome X.
American Academy of Neurology issues new guideline on use of the drug.
If psychosomatic symptoms present before injury, it took twice as long for most athletes to improve.
Treatment that provides rapid, consistent migraine relief may help mediate factors that promote inadequate treatment response.
Machine-learning platform uses entire shape of cerebral blood flow velocity waveforms.
Phase 2 results show anti-CGRP receptor monoclonal antibody effective for the prevention of episodic migraine.
Accurately recognizing concussions can become a reality if clinicians begin using an advanced form of ultrasound that maps blood flow in the brain, new research suggests.
Sinus surgery is more common among firefighters who responded during the first 2 days of the World Trade Center disaster than those who had less intense or shorter exposures.
There was also a significant difference in hospital costs between the discharged and admitted patients, with an average increase in $4291.50 for admitted patients.
The challenges of moving past the "3 strikes and you're out" rule.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Reviewing the Efficacy, Safety, and Tolerability of Cannabis-Based Medicines for Chronic Neuropathic Pain
- Femoral Nerve Block Alone or in Combination With Sciatic Nerve Block for TKA: A Meta-Analysis
- Tackling the Chronic Pain and Opioid Use Disorder Crises Through Public-Private Partnerships
- How the City of San Francisco Is Tackling the Intertwined HIV/HCV and Opioid Epidemics
- Pain Tolerance in Buprenorphine Maintenance Treatment
- Radiofrequency Ablation for Chronic Hip Pain: Reviewing the Evidence
- Opioid Use Disorder Treatment: Evidence-Based Guideline
- Betel Quid Addiction and Implications for Substance Use Disorder
- Low Back Pain: Contributing Factors, Prophylactic Strategies, and Effective Treatments
- Peripherally Acting Opioid and Cannabinoid May Be Effective for Neuropathic Pain
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation May Prevent Migraine in Adolescents
- Widespread Impact of Reducing Opioids, Adding IV Acetaminophen for Postsurgical Pain Management
- GI Safety Compared for NSAIDs in Patients With Arthritis
- Opioid Prescribing Trends in Patients With, Without Cancer
- DOJ Rescinds Protections Afforded by Americans With Disabilities Act