Generic Name and Formulations:
Metyrapone 250mg; caps.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for METOPIRONE:
Diagnostic drug for testing hypothalamic-pituitary ACTH function.
Single-dose short test: 30mg/kg (max 3g) at midnight with yogurt or milk. Blood sample for assay taken early the following morning. Give prophylactic dose of cortisone acetate 50mg. Multiple-dose test: Testing done over 6-day period. Administer 750mg every 4 hours for 6 doses on Day 5. See literature for results interpretation.
Single-dose short test: 30mg/kg (max 3g) at midnight with yogurt or milk. Blood sample for assay taken early the following morning. Give prophylactic dose of cortisone acetate 50mg. Multiple-dose test: Testing done over 6-day period. Administer 15mg/kg every 4 hours for 6 doses on Day 5. A minimum single dose of 250mg is recommended. See literature for results interpretation.
Adrenal cortical insufficiency.
May induce acute adrenal insufficiency in patients with reduced adrenal secretory capacity. Hypo- or hyperthyroidism. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Adrenal corticosteroid synthesis inhibitor.
Discontinue drugs affecting pituitary and adrenocortical function prior to and during testing. May be antagonized by phenytoin; test may be inaccurate in patients taking phenytoin 2 weeks prior. Subnormal response with estrogen therapy. May potentiate acetaminophen toxicity.
Hypotension, GI upset, abdominal pain, headache, dizziness, sedation, rash; rare: decreased WBC, bone marrow depression.
Clinical Pain Advisor Articles
- Virtual Reality May Effectively Reduce Sensory, Affective, and Cognitive Pain During Labor
- Suprazygomatic Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block May Quickly Relieve Status Migrainosus Pain
- Reducing Mortality After Overdose: Is Treatment for Opioid Use Disorder Effective?
- A Physician's Guide to Incorporating Patient Spirituality in Practice
- Low Literacy Self-Management Program for Chronic Pain May Be Effective
- Neuropathic Pain Medications
- Higher Buprenorphine Dose May Not Increase Severity of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Terms Used for Addiction May Be Associated With Explicit, Implicit Bias
- Ketamine Infusions May Be Effective for Refractory Headache
- Physical, Psychosocial Activity May Be Protective Against Development of Chronic Pain in Older Adults
- The Challenge of Compassion in Modern Healthcare Settings
- Republican Opposition to Obamacare: What's Done, What's to Come
- Lowering Default Pill Counts in EMRs May Effectively Reduce Postoperative Opioid Prescription Numbers
- Steps Taken to Increase Use of Electronic Tools in Medicine
- Daily and Retrospective Pain Measurements Comparable in Hip Osteoarthritis